Sensex in red amid negative Asian cues (Lead)April 28th, 2010 - 3:55 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 28 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities was faltering Wednesday amid negative cues from major Asian bourses.
Realty, metal and energy scrips were facing bulk of the selling pressure.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,643.59 points, was ruling at 17,529.91 points, 160.71 points or 0.91 percent lower than its previous close at 17,690.62 points.
At the National Stock Exchange (NSE), the broader 50-share S&P CNX Nifty was ruling at 5,259 points, a loss of 0.93 percent from its previous close at 5,308.35 points.
Broader market indices were also in the red with the BSE midcap index ruling 0.87 percent lower and the BSE smallcap index trading 0.7 percent down.
The market breadth was negative with as many as 1,854 scrips declining compared to 904 stocks advancing, while 88 remained unchanged.
Most other Asian markets were in the red, after fears grew that more European countries could default on their sovereign debts. Credit rating agency Standard and Poor’s had categorised Greece’s troubled economy as Junk, and cast doubts on Portugal’s ability to service its debt.
Japan’s Nikkei shut shop 2.57 percent lower at 10,924.79 points, while the South Korean Kospi was ruling 0.89 percent down at 1,733.91 points.
Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was ruling 1.27 percent lower at 20,991.61 points, while the Chinese Shanghai composite index was down 0.26 percent at 2,900.33 points.
- Sensex 177 points in the red in morning trade - Apr 28, 2010
- Sensex ruling moderately higher as rate cut hopes fade - Mar 12, 2012
- Sensex rises on positive global cues - Mar 09, 2012
- Sensex ruling in green; realty, consumer durables gain - Mar 06, 2012
- Sensex off day's highs, holding in green - Mar 20, 2012
- Sensex in red, energy banking scrips under pressure - Jan 16, 2012
- Sensex weak, IT, capital goods under selling pressure - Mar 19, 2012
- Markets closed on account of Ram Navmi - Apr 12, 2011
- Sensex slips in early trade - Sep 29, 2011
- Sensex in red in afternoon trade, consumer durables slip - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex starts week on strong footing - Feb 06, 2012
- Sensex ruling lower, IT, telecom drag broader markets - Jun 17, 2011
- Sensex in see-saw trade, consumer durables, realty stocks up - Mar 27, 2012
- Sensex flat in noon trade - Mar 07, 2012
- Sensex closes 87 points lower (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: asian bourses, asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, cast doubts, categorised, hang seng, index trading, kospi, market breadth, market indices, national stock exchange, scrips, sensex, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, south korean, standard and poor, troubled economy