Sensex holding up in noon tradeFebruary 2nd, 2011 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 2 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets Wednesday was holding on to its early gains as traders bought into stocks, which had been battered over the past few days.The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 18,216.91 points, was ruling at 18,195.72 points, up 173.5 points or 0.96 percent from its previous close at 18,022.22 points.
The 50-scrip S&P CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange too was in the green, trading 0.72 percent up at 5,456.4 points.
Broader markets were ruling higher as well with the BSE midcap index up 0.55 percent and the BSE smallcap index 0.63 percent higher.
Energy, IT and telecom stocks were among top gainers, while some power scrips saw selling.
The market breadth was positive, with 1,634 stocks advancing compared to 1,001 scrips on the decline, while 114 stocks remained unchanged.
Among gainers on the Sensex were TCS, Tata Motors, Sterlite Industries and RIL, while the losers included Maruti Suzuki, HDFC, Tata Power and M&M.
Other Asian stock markets were mostly trading in the green on robust corporate earnings and as economic data from the US showed that manufacturing output grew better than expected.
The Japanese Nikkei closed 1.78 percent higher at 10,457.36 points, while Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was ruling 1.81 percent up at 23,908.96 points.
The Chinese markets were closed.
- Late sell-off erases Sensex gains, closes dull (Roundup) - Feb 02, 2011
- Sensex starts week on strong footing - Feb 06, 2012
- Sensex rises 41 points; health care, FMCG stocks up - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex rises 52 points health care, FMCG stocks up (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex rises 47 points; capital goods, power stocks up - Jun 20, 2012
- Sensex declines 31 points, realty, capital goods stocks down - Jul 26, 2012
- Sensex up for the third day, rises 38 points - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex rises 104 points, consumer durable, IT stocks up - Jul 19, 2012
- Benchmark indices subdued, midcaps rise - Feb 09, 2012
- Sensex pares early losses, rises 213 points (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Sensex off morning highs in volatile trade - Jun 01, 2011
- Sensex ends flat on dull trading day (Roundup) - May 11, 2011
- Sensex rises above 18,400 points; oil, auto stocks surge - Jun 27, 2011
- Sensex turns red; IT, metal stocks fall (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: asian stock markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, chinese markets, corporate earnings, economic data, hang seng, hdfc, higher energy, market breadth, midcap index, national stock exchange, ril, sensitive index, sterlite industries, tata motors, tata power, telecom stocks, top gainers