Sensex gains 272 points on rate cut hope, global cues (Lead)June 15th, 2012 - 6:55 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 15 (IANS) Backed by firm global cues, a benchmark index of Indian equities markets Friday gained 272 points on hopes of a rate-cut by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) next week. Rate sensitive stocks such as autos, banks and realty were the top gainers.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,701.28 points closed at 16,949.83 points, up 1.63 percent or 271.95 points from its previous close of 16,677.88 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,967.76 points and a low of 16,701.28 in intra-day trade. The BSE midcap index rose 33.91 points while the smallcap index gained 28.97 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 1.67 percent higher at 5,139.05 points.
The RBI is scheduled to announce first mid-quarter review of the monetary policy June 18. It is widely believed that the RBI would take some action to revive slowing economic growth.
The BSE automobile index rose 2.57 percent followed by the banking index that gained 2.19 percent, while the realty index rose 1.78 percent.
Major Sensex gainers were Tata Motors, up 5.75 percent at Rs.240.05; ICICI Bank, up 3.11 percent at Rs.844.90; Coal India, up 2.72 percent at Rs.339.95; Hindalco Inds, up 2.70 percent at Rs.123.40; and Maruti Suzuki, up 2.70 percent at Rs.1,108.
The only three Sensex losers were Sterlite Inds, down 1.57 percent at Rs.100.25; Bajaj Auto, down 1.41 percent at Rs.1,527.55; and ONGC, down 0.67 percent at Rs.265.75.
Traders and brokers said a firm trend on Asian bourses after gains at the US market on speculation of more stimulus measures from the Federal Reserve helped improve trading sentiment. The overseas markets rebounded on hopes that major central banks were preparing for coordinated action if results of Greek elections Sunday strain global financial markets.
At the closing bell here, France’s CAC was 1.57 percent up, while Germany’s DAX was trading 0.95 percent higher. Britain’s FTSE 100 was also up 0.46 percent.
- Sensex rises 159 points; auto, banking stocks surge - Jun 15, 2012
- Sensex climbs 119 points; SBI, RIL rally (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Sensex 194 points up on rates cut hope (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Sensex rises 63 points; consumer durable, realty stocks up - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex rises 40 points; capital goods, FMCG stocks up - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex snaps 3-week losing streak; up 359 points (Weekly market review) - Aug 04, 2012
- Sensex down 127 points, IT stocks hit (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Sensex ends 133 points higher on hopes of rate cuts - Apr 12, 2012
- Sensex closes 87 points up (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex tanks 244 points as RBI keeps rates unchanged (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex hits one-month high on strong global cues (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Sensex closes 41 points lower, oil and gas, IT stocks down (Second Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points up to touch 14-month high (Roundup) - Sep 17, 2012
- Sensex trades flat, auto, banking stocks down (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: asian bourses, bank of india, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, central banks, closing bell, coal india, global financial markets, greek elections, inds, maruti suzuki, mid quarter, midcap index, national stock exchange, reserve bank of india, sensitive index, sensitive stocks, smallcap index, tata motors, top gainers