Sensex falls sharply, rate hike feared (Second Lead)June 15th, 2011 - 4:41 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 15 (IANS) Indian equities markets were in the red Wednesday afternoon with traders fearing another rate hike by the country’s central bank when it takes up the mid-quarter monetary policy review on June 16.
Analysts are largely of the view that the Reserve Bank of India will raise interest rates by 25 basis points on Thursday as inflation continues to reign high.
Latest data released Tuesday by the commerce and industry ministry showed inflation, as measured by the wholesale price index, at 9.06 percent in May, much higher than 8.66 percent in the previous month. The inflation figures for March were revised upwards to 9.68 percent from the previously estimated 9.04 percent.
The RBI has hiked interest rates nine times since March 2010 and said that it would not shy away from more tightening in the coming months if inflation does not come down.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 18,298.59 points, slipped to an intra-day low of 18,111.21 points — down over 197 points or 1.07 percent from its previous close at 18,308.66 points.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was also trading in the red at 5,440.35 points, down 1.09 percent.
Broader markets were also weak, with the BSE midcap index down 0.53 percent and the BSE smallcap index trading 0.62 percent lower.
- Markets quiet ahead of monetary policy review - Jun 16, 2011
- Rate hike fears pull down Sensex 176 points (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2011
- Sensex closes 180 points lower (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Sensex in red in opening trade - Jun 15, 2011
- Sensex continues subdued; realty, consumer durables stocks lose (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Markets unfazed after expected rate hike (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- No respite from inflation, rises to 9.06 percent in May - Jun 14, 2011
- Sensex ends with modest gains, traders watchful before RBI policy (Roundup) - Jun 14, 2011
- Sensex ends 137 points lower (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Sensex plummets in late trade, closes 346 points down (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Sensex slips sharply in afternoon trade - Dec 16, 2011
- RBI's caution on inflation spooks markets (Second Lead) - Jan 25, 2011
- Indian equities markets end lower as inflation reigns high (Weekly market review) - May 22, 2011
- Sensex ends 186 points down as high inflation sparks rate hike fears (Roundup) - May 16, 2011
- Sensex tumbles to two-year low, despite rate hike pause (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: bank of india, basis points, bombay stock exchange, bse, index trading, industry ministry, inflation figures, interest rates, midcap index, monetary policy, national stock exchange, nine times, rate hike, rbi, reserve bank of india, s central, sensex, sensitive index, wednesday afternoon, wholesale price index