Sensex falls on political uncertainty, weak Asian cuesSeptember 20th, 2012 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 20 (IANS) Indian equities markets’ benchmark indices fell Thursday due to political uncertainties arising out of the government’s decision to hike diesel prices and allow overseas investments in multi-brand retail and weak cues from other Asian markets.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened sharply lower at 18,292.22 points, was trading at 18,385.85 points in the afternoon session, down 0.60 percent or 110.16 points from its previous close at 18,496.01 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange slumped 0.72 percent or 40.05 points at 5,560 points.
Weak cues from Asian peers and political uncertainties that arose after the Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress decided to pull out of the government have dampened sentiments at the Indian markets.
There was heavy selling pressure in capital goods, metal, power and oil and gas stocks.
The BSE capital goods index was down 2.17 percent, metal index fell 1.84 percent, power index was down 1.70 percent and oil and gas index was trading 1.36 percent lower.
Reliance Industries Ltd fell 2.18 percent at Rs.836.55. Gail India, down 3.97 percent at Rs.372.50; BHEL, down 3.69 percent at Rs.216.70; Sterlite Inds, down 3.14 percent at Rs.98.70 and Coal India, down 2.83 percent at Rs.365.55 were among the major Sensex losers.
Only 11 of the 30 Sensex scrips were in the positive. TCS, up 1.89 percent at Rs.1325; Bharti Airtel, up 1.57 percent at Rs.272.25; Infosys, up 1.24 percent at Rs.2,631.85 and Maruti Suzuki, up 1.23 percent at Rs.1,290.90 were among the major Sensex gainers.
Most other Asian markets were also under selling pressure. Japan’s Nikkei fell 1.57 percent and China’s Shanghai Composite index was down more than two percent.
- Sensex closes 147 points down over political uncertainties (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Sensex gains 272 points on rate cut hope, global cues (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Sensex rises 63 points; consumer durable, realty stocks up - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 80 points, metal, capital goods stocks up (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex ends 93 points higher; IT, consumer durable stocks up( Roundup) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex closes below 16,000-mark amid growth worries (Round-up) - Jun 01, 2012
- Sensex closes 41 points lower, oil and gas, IT stocks down (Second Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Sensex tanks 120 points, metal, capital goods stocks down - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex rises 37 points; power, FMCG stocks up - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, coal india, diesel prices, gas index, gas stocks, indian markets, mamata banerjee, maruti suzuki, metal index, national stock exchange, overseas investments, political uncertainties, political uncertainty, power index, reliance industries, reliance industries ltd, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, trinamool congress