Sensex falls after previous rallies (Roundup)April 20th, 2012 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 20 (IANS) Indian equities were in the red Friday after a key index opened lower and closed trade 130 points down under selling pressure. The index had risen more than 400 points this week after the country’s central bank announced an interest rate cut.
The sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) opened at 17,459.72, against the previous close of 17,503.71 points. After moving up to an intra-day high of 17,519.88 and touching a low of 17,231.34, it closed the day at 17,373.84, down 129.87 points, or 0.74 percent.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also ended the day 0.78 percent or 41.55 points down at 5,290.85 points.
There was an evident selling pressure, especially in capital goods, banking and power stocks. The BSE capital goods index was down 184.77 points at 9,873.98.
Top losers included Hindalco, down 3.15 points at Rs.125; Tata Power, down 2.45 points at Rs.105; ONGC, down 6.10 points at Rs.266.15; BHEL, down 5.15 points at Rs.246.05; Larsen and Toubro (L&T;), down 26.27 points at Rs.1,292.50; and ICICI Bank, down 17.30 points at Rs.860.50.
Top gainers included Mahindra and Mahindra, up 20.40 points at Rs.726.65; Wipro, up 3.15 points at Rs.424.40; Tata Steel, up 3.40 points at Rs.470.40; Cipla, up 2.05 points at 321.10; and Coal India, up 1.25 points at Rs.362.55.
The midcap index was down 63.21 points while the smallcap index down 32.25 points.
While, 1,267 stocks advanced in the day’s trade, 1,335 scrips declined, with 116 stocks remaining unchanged.
- India's Sensex down after previous rallies (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- India's Sensex down after previous rallies (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 345 points up on tax clarification - Mar 30, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 111.32 points higher, auto stocks rally - Apr 19, 2012
- Sensex down 43 points, IT stocks fall - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex falls 193.40 points, banking stocks slump (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex tanks 223 points, Infosys down 9 percent - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: bhel, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, cipla, coal india, larsen and toubro, midcap index, national stock exchange, ongc, power stocks, rs 125, s central, scrip, sensitive index, smallcap index, tata power, tata steel, top gainers, top losers, wipro