Sensex falls 86 points on profit bookingJune 8th, 2012 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 8 (IANS) Snapping a four-day gaining streak, a benchmark index for Indian equities markets was trading 0.52 percent down Friday afternoon due to profit booking in banking, consumer durables and automobile stocks.
The weakness of the rupee also affected market sentiments. It weakened by 21 paise to 55.15 against the dollar.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), was ruling at 16,562.57 points - 86.48 points or 0.52 percent down from its previous close at 16,649.05 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,625.71 points and low of 16,530.81 points in the intra-day trade.
The banking index was down by 107.80 points, the consumer durable index by 57.07 points and automobile index by 75.42 points.
Major Sensex losers included ONGC, down 2.11 percent at Rs.257.30; Infosys, down 2.04 percent at Rs.2,403; ICICI Bank, down 1.58 percent at Rs.816.80; Maruti Suzuki, down 1.55 percent at Rs.1,125.80 and Bajaj Auto, down 1.20 percent at Rs.1,526.50.
Major Sensex gainers included Sterlite Inds, up 2.88 percent at Rs.100; Hindustan Unilever, up 1.46 percent at Rs.428.75; Gail India, up 0.82 percent at Rs.324.50; Larsen and Toubro, up 0.56 percent at Rs.1284; BHEL, up 0.44 percent at Rs.218.75.
- Sensex down 119 points; consumer durable, auto stocks fall - May 23, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex down 35.68 points, oil and gas stocks fall - May 25, 2012
- Sensex hits one-month high on strong global cues (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Sensex rises 49 points, realty, oil and gas high (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex falls 126 points on weak rupee and global cues (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables down - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex gains 146 points, auto banking stocks up (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex tanks 77 points; metal, auto, power stocks hit (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Sensex falls 64 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex closes 16 points down (Second lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex down 87 points as rise in inflation dampens rate cut hopes - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: bajaj, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, bse, consumer durables, friday afternoon, gainers, inds, infosys, larsen and toubro, market sentiments, maruti suzuki, paise, profit booking, rs 1, rs 2, rupee, sensitive index, unilever