Sensex falls 59 points as bearish mood prevails (Lead)May 10th, 2012 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 10 (IANS) Benchmark indices of Indian equities fell for the third day Thursday as concern over European economies and the depreciating rupee weighed on the markets. Metals, auto and power stocks came under intense selling pressure on heavy funds outflow.
Amid volatile trade, the 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in the positive at 16,515.62 points, closed at 16,420.05 points, down by 0.36 percent or 59.53 points from its previous close of 16,479.58 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,671.81 points and a low of 16,377.02 points in the intra-day. The midcap index of BSE rose 3.82 points, while smallcap index closed 15.76 points down.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.18 percent down at 4,965.70 points.
Market participants and analysts said trading was in the negative zone as uncertainty prevailed over the Greece bailout and the Indian rupee extended losses. The sentiment was also bearish in European markets.
The banking index fell 1.89 percent. State Bank of India, the country’s largest lender, slumped 3.64 percent at Rs.1,887.60. ICICI Bank fell 1.02 percent at Rs.821.80 and HDFC Bank declined 0.58 percent at Rs.512.45.
The metals index fell 1.02 percent, auto index declined 0.89 percent and power index closed 0.75 percent down.
Major Sensex losers included Maruti Suzuki, down 3.18 percent at Rs.1,260.50, Jindal Steel, down 2.68 percent at Rs.458.05, State Bank of India (SBI), down 2.32 percent at Rs.1,843.75, Hero MotoCorp, down 1.53 percent at Rs.1,842.85 and Coal India, down 1.50 percent at Rs.321.55.
Prominent Sensex gainers included: DLF, up 2.25 percent at Rs.186.20, BHEL, up 1.46 percent at Rs.219.30, ONGC, up 1.27 percent at Rs.259.55, Mahindra and Mahindra, up 0.93 percent at Rs.661.25 and Cipla, up 0.91 percent at Rs.325.55.
- Sensex up 11 points in noon trade - May 09, 2012
- Sensex closes 67 points down as bearish mood prevails (Roundup) - May 09, 2012
- Sensex slides 320 points to close below 17,000 (Roundup) - May 04, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex down 87 points as rise in inflation dampens rate cut hopes - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex falls 302 points, banking stocks slump - May 07, 2012
- Sensex falls for second week on earnings and negative cues (Weekly Market Review) - May 05, 2012
- Sensex closes 200 points on stronger rupee - May 28, 2012
- Sensex falls 193.40 points, banking stocks slump (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012
Tags: bank of india, bearish mood, bhel, bombay stock exchange, cipla, coal india, european economies, hdfc bank, indian rupee, mahindra and mahindra, market participants, maruti suzuki, metals index, midcap index, national stock exchange, negative zone, power index, power stocks, sensitive index, state bank of india