Sensex extends losses on week European cues (Lead)July 11th, 2012 - 4:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 11 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Wednesday extended its losses to trade 141 points in lower late afternoon following weak opening in European bourses. Auto, oil and gas, and realty stocks came under selling pressure.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), opened at 17,553.97 points and was trading at 17,477.27 points, down 0.80 percent or 141.08 points around 2 p.m. from its previous close at 17,618.35 points.
The BSE mid-cap was up 6.17 points and small cap was down 4.40 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also was trading at 5,303.95 points down 0.77 percent.
The BSE automobile index was down 117.98 points. And so were the oil and gas index, down 88.04 points, and the realty index, down 18.50 points.
The main losers were Hindalco Inds, down 2.66 percent at Rs.124.20; Wipro, down 2.60 percent at Rs.374.50; Tata Motors, down 2.27 percent at Rs.240.80; RIL, down 1.83 percent at Rs.726; and BHEL, down 1.53 percent at Rs.232.25.
The only four Sensex gainers were Gail India, up 0.87 percent at Rs.360.10; Larsen and Toubro up 0.48 percent at Rs.1,424.65; Infosys, up 0.29 percent at Rs.2,466.30 and SBI, up 0.08 percent at Rs.2,224.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was down 0.08 percent, Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was higher by 0.12 percent and China’s Shanghai Composite index was up 0.51 percent.
At closing bell here, European markets were trading in the red. France’s CAC was down 0.82 percent and so were Germany’s DAX, down 0.38 percent, Britain’s FTSE 100, down 0.38 percent.
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex down 67.17 points in the afternoon trade - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex falls 147 percent, metal, power stocks slump - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex rises 17 points; oil, gas, power stocks up - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex closes 17 points down on growth worries (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex sheds early gains, down 16 points (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Sensex closes 117 points down (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex down almost 15 points, auto, banking stocks down - Aug 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Roundup) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex rises 22 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: asian markets, auto oil, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, closing bell, european bourses, ftse 100, gas index, inds, larsen and toubro, mid cap, national stock exchange, realty stocks, ril, rs 2, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, tata motors, wipro