Sensex ends gaining streak, loses 292 points (Roundup)August 12th, 2008 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 12 (IANS) Indian equity markets ended their five-day gaining streak and closed with a deep cut following disappointing index for industrial production (IIP) numbers and weak European markets. India’s industrial growth was a mere 5.4 percent in June, down from 8.9 percent in the same month last year.
Banking, metal and information technology shares dragged the market down.
The markets started on a positive note but slipped into the red by afternoon, witnessed a bout of volatility in the last hour of trade, and ended the day in the negative.
The 30-share benchmark of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) sensitive index (Sensex), which opened at 15,577.20 points, touched a low of 15,124.91 points before closing at 15,212.13 points. It went down 291.79 points or 1.88 percent at the day’s close.
The National Stock Exchange (NSE) S&P Nifty, which opened at 4620.95 points, closed at 4,552.25 points, falling 68.15 points or 1.47 percent.
The BSE Midcap index, which closed at 5,935.53 points, went down 47.15 points or 0.79 percent.
The BSE Smallcap index, which closed at 7,220.42 points, fell 50.93 points or 0.7 percent.
The market breadth was negative. On the BSE, 1,100 shares advanced, 1,556 declined and 73 maintained the status quo.
Top gainers of the day included ITC Ltd, which at Rs.193.20 went up 1.91 percent, Grasim Industries at Rs.2,069.80 rose 0.83 percent, and Mahindra and Mahindra at Rs.590.95 increased 0.75 percent.
Top losers of the day included Tata Steel, which at Rs.644.80 lost 5.71 percent, Maruti Suzuki at Rs.715.50 went down 5.23 percent, and Jaiprakash Associates at Rs.197.60 fell 4.58 percent.
- Sensex closes 291 points down - Aug 12, 2008
- Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points on positive European cues - Dec 22, 2011
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex closes in red (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Roundup) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 17 points down on growth worries (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex closes 43 points high (Second lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex down 35.68 points, oil and gas stocks fall - May 25, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex falls 59 points as bearish mood prevails (Lead) - May 10, 2012
Tags: bombay stock exchange, european markets, indian equity markets, itc ltd, jaiprakash associates, mahindra and mahindra, market breadth, midcap index, national stock exchange, nse, roundup, rs 2, s industrial, sensitive index, smallcap index, tata steel, technology shares, top gainers, top losers, volatility