Sensex ends 111 points up; TCS, Wipro surge (Lead)April 24th, 2012 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 24 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets closed 111 points higher Tuesday, led by an almost 12 percent surge in the share price of Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) and good buying support in other IT stocks on the back of a robust earnings outlook.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in the positive at 17,154.75 points, closed at 17,207.29 points, up 0.65 percent or 110.61 points from its previous close at 17,096.68 points.
The wide-based 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange ended the day 0.42 percent down at 5,222.65 points.
The share price of the country’s largest outsourcing firm Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) surged 12.84 percent to Rs.1,195.25, a day after the firm announced 23 percent jump in fourth quarter profit.
There was strong buying support in other information technology stocks also. Wipro surged 4.44 percent at Rs.442.50. Infosys, the country’s second largest outsourcing firm, closed 1.58 percent higher at Rs.2348.55.
The Information Technology (IT) index of the BSE surged 4.93 percent to close at 5,562.12 points. The BSE TECk index that represents frequently traded stocks in telecom, media and telecommunications sectors, advanced 3.34 percent at 3,261.77 points.
Tata Power, up 2.54 percent at Rs.104.80; Hero MotoCorp, up 2.30 percent at Rs.2,195.25; Hindalco Inds, up 1.39 percent at Rs.120.55 and Tata Steel, up 1.24 percent at Rs.468.70 were among the major Sensex gainers.
However, telecom stocks slumped after the regulator proposed a steep hike in 2G spectrum prices. The country’s largest telecom firm Bharti Airtel fell 2.02 percent at Rs.306.35.
Nearly half of the 30 Sensex scrips closed in the red. L&T;, down 2.63 percent at Rs.1221.80; Bajaj Auto, down 1.63 percent at Rs.1646.00; DLF, down 1.46 percent at Rs.186.25 and Gail India, down 1.23 percent at Rs.348.25 were among the major Sensex losers.
- Sensex rises 100 points; TCS, Wipro surge - Apr 24, 2012
- Sensex down 127 points, IT stocks hit (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Sensex rallies 215 points on global cues (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 37 points; power, FMCG stocks up - Jun 28, 2012
- Choppy trading at Indian equities after outlook downgrade - Apr 26, 2012
- Sensex up 225.14 points, oil and gas stocks soar - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex up 222 points, bank, auto and IT stocks rally (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Sensex up 76.94 points (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Sensex down 31.93 points (Lead, correcting figures in Paras 1 and 2) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex loses 367 points; IT, bank, auto stocks hit (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 243.45 points lower (Second Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: benchmark index, bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, bse, dlf, inds, information technology stocks, national stock exchange, outsourcing firm, quarter profit, rs 120, rs 2, sensitive index, steep hike, tata consultancy services, tata consultancy services tcs, tata power, tata steel, telecom firm, telecom stocks