Sensex drops 162.32 points as RBI rate cut hope fades awayJune 18th, 2012 - 3:34 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 18 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was Monday down 162.32 points around 1.00 p.m. and stood at 16,787.51 points, as hopes of a rate-cut by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its mid-quarter review of monetary policy 2012-13 faded.
The interest rate sensitive stocks of autos, banks and realty were worst hit.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,039.54 points, was down 162.32 points, or 0.96 percent, and stood at 16,787.51 points from its previous close of 16,949.83 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,109.95 points and a low of 16,733.04 points in the early session of trade.
The BSE midcap index was down 34.81 points while the smallcap index fell 20.19 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was 1.11 percent or 57.25 higher at 5,081.80 points.
- Sensex closes 244 points down as RBI rate cut hopes fade (Second Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Bank stocks tank as hopes of RBI rate-cut fade away (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex tanks 244 points as RBI keeps rates unchanged (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex gains 272 points on rate cut hope, global cues (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Sensex plunges over 200 points on inflation data (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex rallies 250 points ahead of RBI policy review - Jul 30, 2012
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex surges 117 points, metal, IT stocks up (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Sensex up 11 points in noon trade - May 09, 2012
- Sensex rallies in last hour, closes 160 points higher (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Sensex plummets in late trade, closes 346 points down (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Markets unfazed after expected rate hike (Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Sensex down 119 points; consumer durable, auto stocks fall - May 23, 2012
- Sensex rises 110 points; realty, banking stocks up - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: bank of india, banks, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, hope fades, interest rate, midcap index, monetary policy, national stock exchange, reserve bank of india, sensex, sensitive index, sensitive stocks, smallcap index