Sensex down 87 points as rise in inflation dampens rate cut hopesJune 14th, 2012 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 14 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets was trading 0.52 percent down Thursday afternoon, affected by India’s inflation which moved to 7.55 percent in May as compared to 7.23 percent in the previous month and dampening hopes of a rate cut.
The inflation was mainly driven by a sharp increase in the prices of food items, adding to the woes of policy makers.
The weakness of the rupee also affected market sentiments. It depreciated by 9 paise to 55.77 against the dollar.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), was ruling at 16,792.54 points - 87.97 points or 0.52 percent down from its previous close at 16,880.51 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,921.49 points and low of 16,768.19 points in the intra-day trade.
The capital goods index was down by 195.37 points, the banking index by 206.93 points and the power index by 20.40 points.
Major Sensex losers included NTPC, down 2.89 percent at Rs.149.75; Tata Motors, down 2.73 percent at Rs.231.35; Larsen and Toubro, down 2.70 percent at Rs.1,313.35; ICICI Bank, down 2.48 percent at Rs.828.05 and SBI, down 1.62 percent at Rs.2,186.30.
Major Sensex gainers included ITC, up 1.15 percent at Rs.246.40; Infosys, up 1.09 percent at Rs.2,498.20; Sterlite Inds, up 0.59 percent at Rs.102.30; Mahindra and Mahindra, up 0.55 percent at Rs.686.85; Tata Steel, up 0.46 percent at Rs.413.30.
- Sensex plunges over 200 points on inflation data (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex falls 86 points on profit booking - Jun 08, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex down 19 points; auto, oil and gas stocks fall (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sensex down 41 points; realty, health care stocks slump - Jun 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 16 points down (Second lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex falls 59 points as bearish mood prevails (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex up 11 points in noon trade - May 09, 2012
Tags: benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, capital goods, food items, gainers, inds, infosys, larsen and toubro, mahindra and mahindra, market sentiments, paise, power index, rs 1, rs 2, sbi, sensitive index, tata motors, tata steel, thursday afternoon