Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumbleJuly 20th, 2012 - 2:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 20 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was trading 82 points down in afternoon session Friday after banking, oil and gas and capital goods stocks came under selling pressure.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,275.20 points, was ruling at 17,196.70 points, down 0.48 percent or 82.15 points from its previous day’s close at 17,278.85 points.
The BSE bank index was down 100.94 points, followed by capital goods index which was down 66.84 points and oil and gas index that was down 64.44 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.55 percent 29 points lower at 5,213.70 points.
The major Sensex gainers were TCS, up 1.85 percent at Rs.1,223; Bajaj Auto, up 1.74 percent at Rs.1,576.15; Maruti Suzuki, up 1.49 percent at Rs.1,133.95; Jindal Steel, up 0.68 percent at Rs.428.35 and Hindalco, up 0.57 percent at Rs.122.90.
Sensex losers were Dr Reddys Lab, down 2.72 percent at Rs.1,610.60; BHEL, down 2.17 percent at Rs.229.55; Sterlite Inds, down 1.23 percent at Rs.104.55; Gail India, down 1.22 percent at Rs.352.70 and L&T;, down 1.21 percent at Rs.1,390.15.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was 1.43 percent down and Shanghai’s composite index was trading 0.74 percent lower. However, Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was 0.08 percent higher.
- Sensex slips 120 points; banking, capital goods stocks fall (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex down 75 points, Jindal Steel slumps (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Sensex rebounds on rupee recovery (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 117 points down (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 116 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sensex rises 52 points, health care, consumer durables up - Jul 16, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 160 points down on low GDP report (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2012
- Sensex rises 22 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 79 points high (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 16 points down (Second lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex surges 117 points, metal, IT stocks up (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Sensex up for the third day, rises 38 points - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex gains 66 points in special trading - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: afternoon session, asian markets, bank index, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, bse, capital goods, composite index, dr reddys lab, gainers, gas index, gas stocks, hang seng, hindalco, inds, national stock exchange, oil and gas, rs 1, sensitive index