Sensex down 55 points, oil and gas, metal stocks slump (Lead)September 18th, 2012 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 18 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was ruling 55 points down Tuesday in late afternoon trade due to selling pressure in oil and gas, metal and consumer durable stocks and weak global cues.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 18,514.72 points, was trading at 18,486.95 points, 55.36 points or 0.30 percent down from its previous day’s close at 18,542.31 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 18,580.48 and a low of 18,480.96 points in intra-day trade. The BSE midcap index was up 51.64 points, while the smallcap index was 47.24 points high.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was also ruling 0.17 percent down at 5,600.20 points.
On the sectoral front, the BSE oil and gas index was down 111.47 points while metal index was down 46.18 points and consumer durable index was down 25.28.
The major Sensex gainers were BHEL, up 3.84 percent at Rs.221.60; Gail India, up 2.63 percent at Rs.386.45; SBI, up 2.55 percent at Rs.2,129.15; Jindal Steel, up 2.28 percent at Rs.403.55; and Infosys, up 1.63 percent at Rs.2,604.30.
The main losers were Wipro, down 3.67 percent at Rs.370.05; Hindalco Inds, down 2.64 percent at Rs.114.15; TCS, 2.57 percent at Rs.1,306.45; RIL, 2.48 percent at Rs.852; and NTPC, down 1.83 percent at Rs.165.90.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was down 0.39 percent, while Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was trading 0.27 percent lower. Shanghai’s composite index was down 0.91 percent.
The European markets were also in red. France’s CAC was down 1.08 percent, while Germany’s DAX fell 1.13 percent. Britain’s FTSE 100 was trading 0.72 percent lower.
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex down 119 points; consumer durable, auto stocks fall - May 23, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables down - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex rises 49 points, realty, oil and gas high (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex tanks 324 points in noon trade - May 16, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex falls 64 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, composite index, european markets, ftse 100, gas index, hang seng, inds, infosys, metal index, metal stocks, midcap index, national stock exchange, ntpc, rs 2, sbi, sensitive index, smallcap index