Sensex down 46 points; oil and gas, IT stocks fall (Roundup)September 18th, 2012 - 6:24 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 18 (IANS) Snapping a nine-day rally, a benchmark index of Indian equities markets closed 46 points down Tuesday due to selling pressure in oil and gas, IT and healthcare stocks and weak global cues.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 18,514.72 points, closed 18,496.01 points, 46.30 points or 0.25 percent down from its previous day’s close at 18,542.31 points.
The Sensex closed 78 points higher Monday on the back of the Reserve Bank of India’s decision to cut the cash reserve ratio and the opening up of the retail and aviation sectors to foreign investment last week by the government.
The Sensex touched a high of 18,580.48 and a low of 18,469.51 points in intra-day trade. The BSE midcap index was up 55.69 points, while the smallcap index was 49 points high.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.18 percent down at 5,600.05 points.
On the sectoral front, the BSE oil and gas index was down 100.61 points, while IT index was down 32.69 points and health care was down 16.08.
The major Sensex gainers were BHEL, up 5.44 percent at Rs.225; SBI, up 3.59 percent at Rs.2,150.65; Gail India, up 3.01 percent at Rs.387.90; Jindal Steel, up 2.64 percent at Rs.404.95; and Infosys, up 1.45 percent at Rs.2,599.65.
The main losers were Wipro, down 3.79 percent at Rs.369.60; TCS, down 3.02 percent at Rs.1,300.40; Hindalco Inds, 2.13 percent at Rs.114.75; RIL, 2.11 percent at Rs.855.20; and NTPC, down 1.51 percent at Rs.166.45.
Asian markets closed in red. Japan’s Nikkei closed 0.39 percent down, while Shanghai’s composite index closed 0.91 percent lower. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 0.27 percent down.
At closing bell here, European markets were in red. France’s CAC was down 1.15 percent and so was Germany’s DAX, down 1 percent. Britain’s FTSE 100 was trading 0.81 percent lower.
- Sensex closes 41 points lower, oil and gas, IT stocks down (Second Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 147 points down over political uncertainties (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Sensex falls on political uncertainty, weak Asian cues - Sep 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 55 points down, realty, banking stocks lower (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 38 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex down 31.93 points (Lead, correcting figures in Paras 1 and 2) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex at 14-month high, surging 404 points on reforms hopes (Roundup) - Sep 21, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex closes 79 points high (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: asian markets, aviation sectors, bank of india, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, cash reserve ratio, closing bell, composite index, european markets, ftse 100, gas index, healthcare stocks, inds, midcap index, national stock exchange, ntpc, reserve bank of india, rs 2, sensitive index, smallcap index