Sensex down 37.45 points, capital goods, power scrips fallAugust 22nd, 2012 - 2:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 22 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was trading 37.45 points lower in afternoon trade Wednesday as power, capital goods, oil and gas came under selling pressure.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,827.25 points, was ruling at 17,847.81 points, 0.21 percent or 37.45 points down from its previous day’s close at 17,885.26 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,895.79 points and a low of 17,800.29 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.07 percent or 3.60 points down at 5,417.40 points.
The BSE capital goods index was down 31.02 points followed by the oil and gas index, down 29.92 points, and power index, down 16.31 points.
The main Sensex losers were Bharti Airtel, down 7.90 at Rs.250.75, Tata Power, down 2.10 points at Rs.97.70, Jindal Steel, down 5.15 points at Rs.399.85, NTPC, down 2.00 points at Rs.171.80; and RIL, down 6.35 points at Rs.808.
The major Sensex gainers were Dr Reddys Lab, up 32.95 points at Rs.1,692.05, Bajaj Auto 17.60 points at Rs.1,729.70, Hero MotoCorp, up 19.25 points at Rs.1,938.05, Sun Pharma, up 5.90 points at Rs.672.70; and Hindalco Inds, up 0.95 points at Rs.113.25.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was down 0.27 percent while Shanghai’s composite index was trading 0.50 percent lower. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was down 1.16 percent.
- Sensex recovers initial losses, trading flat (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 38 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex ends 38 points down; Bharti Airtel drops 3.85 percent (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex tanks 120 points, metal, capital goods stocks down - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex down 43 points, IT stocks fall - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex rises 63 points; banking, metal stocks up - Aug 14, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex gains 66 points in special trading - Sep 08, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex rises 17 points; oil, gas, power stocks up - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex slips after RBI policy action, trading 70 points down - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, airtel, asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, composite index, dr reddys lab, gas index, hindalco, inds, national stock exchange, ntpc, power index, ril, rs 250, sensex, sensitive index, sun pharma, tata power