Sensex down 226.09 points as metals, capital goods stocks tumbleJuly 23rd, 2012 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 23 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets was trading 226.09 points down around 1.00 p.m. Monday after metals, capital goods and auto stocks came under selling pressure and weak Asian cues.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,047.73 points, was ruling at 16,932.35 points, down 1.32 percent or 226.09 points from its previous day’s close at 17,158.44 points.
The BSE metal index was down 302.67 points, followed by capital goods index which was down 207.29 points, bank index was down 199.17 points and auto index was down 179.17 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 1.39 percent, 72.60 points lower at 5,132.50 points.
Only two companies were major Sensex gainers — Dr. Reddy’s Lab, up 12.80 percent and 0.79 points at Rs.1,624, followed by TCS, up 0.95 points or 0.08 percent at Rs.1,224.
Sensex losers included Maruti Suzuki, down 5.64 percent or 64.60 points at Rs.1,079.95; Sterlite Inds, down 4.29 percent or 4.50 points at Rs.100.50; Hindalco Inds, down 3.69 percent or 4.50 points at Rs.117.50; BHEL, down 3.41 percent or 7.80 points at Rs.221.05; and Jindal Steel, down 3.06 percent or 13.05 points at Rs.413.50.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei was down 161.55 points or 1.86 percent and Shanghai’s composite index was trading 27.24 points or 1.26 percent lower. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was plunged by 624.96 points or 3.18 percent.
- Sensex slips after RBI policy action, trading 70 points down - Jul 31, 2012
- Sensex tanks 281 points (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 79 points high (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points, IT consumer durable stocks up (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex slips 100 points; metal, telecom stocks slump - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 38 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 194 points up; IT, power stocks rise (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex down almost 15 points, auto, banking stocks down - Aug 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 22 points down (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex rises 66 points; metal, IT stocks up (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex surges 236 points (Second Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex ends 38 points down; Bharti Airtel drops 3.85 percent (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: asian markets, auto index, auto stocks, bank index, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, bse, capital goods, composite index, dr reddy, hang seng, inds, jindal, maruti suzuki, metal index, national stock exchange, rs 1, sensex, sensitive index