Sensex dips 257 points; Infosys, Wipro slump (Roundup)July 12th, 2012 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 12 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets slumped 1.5 percent Thursday after Infosys announced disappointing earnings for the June quarter that led to a sell-off in other software exporters like Wipro and Tata Consultancy Services amid weak global cues.
Infosys slumped 8.15 percent to Rs.2,265.25. The share price of the IT bellwether dipped to a low of Rs.2,216.05 intra-day. Wipro plunged 3.98 percent to Rs.359.30.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened sharply down at 17,297.06 points, ended the day at 17,232.55 points, down 1.47 percent or 256.59 points from its previous day close at 17,489.14 points.
The benchmark Sensex tumbled to a low of 17,181.17 points intra-day.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange plunged 1.34 percent or 71.05 points to close at 5,235.25 points.
Investors dumped IT stocks after the country’s second largest software exporter Infosys reported disappointing earnings for the first quarter of the current financial year and cut its sales forecast, signalling tough time ahead for the software exporters.
Infosys lowered its revenue forecast in dollar terms for the current financial year to $7.34 billion from its earlier estimate of $7.6 billion. Infosys is the first IT company to disclose quarterly results.
The BSE IT index slumped 5.11 percent to 5,384.39 points. There was heavy selling pressure in all major IT stocks. The country’s largest software exporter Tata Consultancy Services fell 1.80 percent at Rs.1,236.10 and the third largest IT firm Wipro fell 3.98 percent at Rs.359.30.
Disappointing earnings of Infosys offset the impact that the better-than-expected industrial output could have on the market. India’s industrial output grew by 2.4 percent in May as against 0.9 percent contraction in the previous month, led by rebound in manufacturing and electricity production.
Other major Sensex losers were Bharti Airtel, down 3.04 percent at Rs.306.25; Mahindra & Mahindra, down 2.09 percent at Rs.717.60; Tata Motors, down 1.97 percent at Rs.236.65 and L&T;, down 1.75 percent at Rs.1,409.70.
Only nine of the 30 Sensex scrips closed in the positive. ONGC advanced 1.42 percent at Rs.282.15, while Hero MotoCorp was up 0.88 percent at Rs.2,058.55. Gail India moved 0.63 percent up at Rs.360.15 and so was Tata Power, up 0.60 percent at Rs.100.80.
Most global markets were also in the red. The Japan’s Nikkei slumped 1.48 percent at 8,720.01 points. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng fell 2.03 percent at 19,025.11 points. However, China’s Shanghai Composite index rose 0.46 percent at 2,185.49 points.
European markets were trading in the red. Britain’s FTSE 100 index was down 1.30 percent, French CAC 40 index was down 0.71 percent and German DAX was ruling 1.20 percent lower at around noon trade.
- Sensex up 52 points; TCS, HDFC Bank rise - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 22 points down (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex rises 52 points, health care, consumer durables up - Jul 16, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; oil and gas, auto stocks fall (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex at seven-month high, closes 139 points higher (Roundup) - Feb 21, 2012
- Sensex ends 111 points up; TCS, Wipro surge (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Sensex falls 126 points; auto, realty stocks slump - May 03, 2012
- Sensex rises 37 points; power, FMCG stocks up - Jun 28, 2012
- Sensex closes in red, consumer durable, realty stocks down (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex slumps 143 points on weak economic numbers - Jun 01, 2012
- Sensex tanks 223 points, Infosys down 9 percent - Jul 12, 2012
- Sensex closes 24 points up - Aug 17, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points, IT consumer durable stocks up (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex turns red; IT, metal stocks fall (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: bellwether, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, contraction, dollar terms, electricity production, largest software, market india, national stock exchange, quarterly results, rs 1, rs 2, s industrial, sensex dips, sensitive index, share price, software exporter, software exporters, tata consultancy services