Sensex dips 184 points; capital goods, energy stocks slump (Lead)December 29th, 2011 - 5:43 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Dec 29 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities Thursday slumped 184 points due to last hour selling pressure in capital goods and oil and gas stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) ended the day at almost a year-low of 15,543.93 points, down 1.17 percent or 183.92 points from its previous close at 15,727.85 points.
The market closed in the red for the third straight day. The benchmark Sensex had lost 243 points in the previous two sessions.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also ended in the red for the third consecutive day. The Nifty closed 1.27 percent down at 4,646.25 points.
The broader markets as well as most sectoral indices also closed in the red. The BSE midcap index fell 0.35 percent and the smallcap index closed 0.74 percent down.
There was heavy selling pressure in capital goods and oil and gas stocks. The BSE oil and gas index slumped 2.62 percent and the capital goods index fell 2.39 percent.
- Sensex falls 146 points, realty, metal stocks slump - Dec 28, 2011
- Sensex slumps 24 percent in 2011 (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Sensex falls 89 points; yearly loss widens to 24 percent (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Sensex closes in red for fifth straight day, dips 204 points - Dec 20, 2011
- Sensex closes in red; oil and gas, realty stocks slump - Jan 05, 2012
- Sensex slips 100 points; metal, telecom stocks slump - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex dips 204 points; in red for fifth straight day (Roundup) - Dec 20, 2011
- Sensex falls for third straight week on negative cues (Weekly Market Review) - May 12, 2012
- Sensex drops 100 points; ONGC, Bajaj Auto slump - Aug 29, 2012
- Sensex pares losses, closes 142 points down (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- Sensex slumps 405 points on weakening rupee (Lead) - Mar 22, 2012
- Sensex slips in morning trade - Jan 06, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Global equities rout reaches India, Sensex crashes 704 points - Sep 22, 2011
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, capital goods, energy stocks, gas index, gas stocks, midcap index, national stock exchange, oil and gas, sectoral indices, sensex dips, sensitive index, sessions, slump, smallcap index