Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables downJuly 25th, 2012 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 25 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Wednesday was trading 66 points down in afternoon trade led by selling pressure in metal, consumer durable and power stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,899.01 points, was ruling at 16,851.77 points, 0.39 percent or 66.31 points down from its previous day’s close at 16,918.08 points.
The BSE metal index was down 186.24 points, followed by consumer durables index, up 84.10 points, and power index, up 19.79 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.44 percent down at 5,105.55 points.
The main losers were Jindal Steel, down 2.77 percent at Rs.403.20; Wipro, down 2.21 percent at Rs.338.35; Hindustan Unilever, down 2.11 percent at Rs.466; Tata Steel, down 1.75 percent at Rs.390.05; and Bharti Airtel, down 1.75 percent at Rs.302.75.
Major Sensex gainers were HDFC Bank, up 0.98 percent at Rs.579.80; ITC, up 0.48 percent at Rs.251.70; HDFC, up 0.44 percent at Rs.677.40; ICICI Bank, up 0.40 percent at Rs.919.75; and Sun Pharma, up 0.21 percent at Rs.609.50.
Other Asian markets were also trading lower. Japan’s Nikkei was down 1.44 percent while Shanghai’s composite index fell 0.49 percent. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was down 0.16 percent.
- Sensex falls 86 points on profit booking - Jun 08, 2012
- Sensex falls 57 points, metal consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex rises 100 points; auto, IT stocks rally - May 29, 2012
- Sensex gains 146 points, auto banking stocks up (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 74 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex rallies 226 points on European cues (Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex down 35.68 points, oil and gas stocks fall - May 25, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex rises 111 points, auto and banking stocks up - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex rises 49 points, realty, oil and gas high (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex tanks 324 points in noon trade - May 16, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, asian markets, benchmark index, bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, bse, composite index, consumer durable, consumer durables, gainers, hang seng, metal index, national stock exchange, power index, power stocks, sensitive index, sun pharma, tata steel, unilever, wipro