Sensex creeps up after early fall, broader markets dullFebruary 15th, 2011 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 15 (IANS) A day after galloping over 470 points, a benchmark index for Indian equities markets Tuesday pared its morning losses to rule almost flat around noon. Broader markets too seemed to take a breather after the previous session’s rally.The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 18,260.08 points, rose to 18,210.87 points, up 8.67 points or 0.05 percent from its previous close at 18,202.2 points.
It had slipped to 18,050.48 points in the morning,
The 50-scrip S&P CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.04 percent up at 5,458.25 points.
Broader markets were also dull, with the BSE midcap index trading 0.12 percent lower and the BSE smallcap index ruling 0.2 percent up.
Selling was seen in capital goods, IT and healthcare stocks, while banking and energy scrips generated some buying interest.
The market breadth was mixed, with 1,232 stocks advancing compared to 1,296 scrips on the decline. A total of 99 stocks remained unchanged.
Among gainers on the 30-scrip Sensex were ICICI Bank, Tata Power, SBI and Reliance Communications, while the losers included Jaiprakash Associates, BHEL, TCS and M&M.
Other Asian markets were a mixed bag, with traders on the lookout for fresh signals on the global economic recovery front, having rallied Monday on the news that fresh economic data coming from China showed inflation lower than expected.
Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was ruling 0.45 percent down at 23,016.47 points, while a benchmark of Chinese markets, Shanghai Composite index, rose 0.82 percent at 2,922.89 points.
The Japanese Nikkei nudged up 0.2 percent at 10,746.67 points.
- Sensex closes 63 points up (Lead) - Feb 15, 2011
- Markets take a breather after Monday rally (Roundup) - Feb 15, 2011
- Sensex in red in opening trade - Jun 15, 2011
- Sensex builds on morning gains, up 370 points in afternoon (Lead) - May 13, 2011
- Indian equities markets muted in early trade - May 10, 2011
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex continues to trade lacklustre, RIL soars (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex nose-dives 326 points in afternoon (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Sensex starts trade on firm note - May 31, 2011
- Sensex subdued, banking, realty stocks under pressure - Feb 22, 2012
- Sensex continues subdued; realty, consumer durables stocks lose (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Sensex holds on to gains, but slips from 18,000 - Feb 29, 2012
- Sensex quiet in morning trade - Jan 04, 2012
- Sensex extends gains, up 320 points (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Sensex holds on to morning gains (Lead) - May 20, 2011
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, bse, capital goods, chinese markets, economic data, economic recovery, hang seng, healthcare stocks, icici bank, index trading, market breadth, national stock exchange, sbi, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, smallcap index, tata power