Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup)July 24th, 2012 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 24 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets closed 40 points up Tuesday in choppy trade in the absence of any domestic or overseas trigger. Scrips of FMCG, consumer durables and oil and gas sectors were the major gainers.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) opened in the green at 16,907.74 points, but soon lost the momentum and amid volatility closed at 16,918.08 points, 0.24 percent or 40.73 points up from its previous day’s close at 16,877.35 points.
“Market continued to oscillate between gains and losses. This is mainly because of rollover procedure,” said Kishor Ostwal, chief managing director (CMD), CNI Research.
The BSE FMCG index was up 93.01 points, followed by the consumer durables index, up 72.57 points, and oil and gas index, up 67.05 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.20 percent up at 5,128.20 points.
Hindustan Unilever (HUL) was the biggest Sensex gainer and closed 7.5 percent up at Rs.476.05 as the company’s net profit doubled year-on-year in the quarter ended June 2012.
The other major Sensex gainers were Sterlite Inds, up 2.56 percent at Rs.102.10; Maruti Suzuki, up 2.34 percent at Rs.1,105.20; Bharti Airtel, up 1.42 percent at Rs.308.15; and ONGC, up 1.19 percent at Rs.284.40.
The main losers were Wipro, down 2.93 percent at Rs.346; Larsen and Toubro, down 1.45 percent at Rs.1,354.55; Sun Pharma, down 1.38 percent at Rs.608.25; BHEL, down 0.96 percent at Rs.217.70; and Mahindra and Mahindra, down 0.90 percent at Rs.686.50.
Other Asian markets closed mixed. Japan’s Nikkei closed 0.24 percent down while Shanghai’s composite index went 0.24 percent up. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was down 0.79 percent.
At closing bell here, the European markets were in the red. France’s CAC was down 0.18 percent and so was Germany’s DAX, down 0.21 percent. Britain’s FTSE 100 was trading 0.10 percent lower.
- Sensex rises 75 points; FMCG, consumer durables up (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 22 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 43 points high (Second lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 40 points; capital goods, FMCG stocks up - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex down 41 points; realty, health care stocks slump - Jun 21, 2012
- Sensex rises 41 points; health care, FMCG stocks up - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 71 points down, FMCG, metal stocks plummet (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex down 79 points; consumer durables, auto scrips fall - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012
- Sensex above 16,000-mark, realty, FMCG stocks fall (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bharti airtel, bhel, bombay stock exchange, closing bell, consumer durables, european markets, ftse 100, gas index, gas sectors, inds, larsen and toubro, mahindra and mahindra, national stock exchange, ongc, quarter ended june, scrips, sensitive index, sun pharma