Sensex closes flat, technology stocks rise (Lead)May 29th, 2012 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 29 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets Monday lost most of the early gains to close flat even as buying was seen in technology, media, telecom and realty stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,500.04 points in the morning, failed to sustain the intra-day gains and closed at 16,438.58 points, up 0.13 percent or 21.74 points from its previous close of 16,416.84 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,544.38 points and a low of 16,410.21 in intra-day trade. The BSE midcap index fell 8.27 points while the smallcap index gained 10.91 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.09 percent higher at 4999.10 points.
Buying was seen in IT, media, telecom and realty stocks.
IT index was up 1.19 percent or 65.95 points, while TECk (constituting technology, media and telecom) index was up 0.74 percent.
Major Sensex gainers were Wipro, up 2.72 percent at Rs.409.70; Coal India, up 2.14 percent at Rs.321.80; Maruti Suzuki, up 2.11 percent at Rs.1127; TCS, up 1.39 percent at Rs.1240.80; and ONGC, up 0.98 percent at Rs.256.35.
The Sensex losers were ITC, down 1.55 percent at Rs.231.20; Sterlite, down 1.22 percent at Rs.97.25; Bharti Airtel, down 0.78 percent at Rs.299.95; Cipla, down 0.69 percent at Rs.310.75; and Sun Pharma, down 0.68 percent at Rs.565.65.
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex closes flat on weak rupee (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Sensex down 41 points; realty, health care stocks slump - Jun 21, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 82.04 points; auto, bank, capital goods stocks slide - May 30, 2012
- Sensex gains 272 points on rate cut hope, global cues (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Choppy trading at Indian equities after outlook downgrade - Apr 26, 2012
- Sensex slides 156.93 points; consumer durables, realty stocks down - Jun 04, 2012
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex slips 100 points; metal, telecom stocks slump - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex bounces back on rate cut hopes (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Sensex rises 63.33 points; capital goods, banking, realty stocks up - May 21, 2012
Tags: benchmark index, bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, bse, cipla, coal india, gainers, itc, media telecom, midcap index, national stock exchange, ongc, realty stocks, sensitive index, smallcap index, sterlite, sun pharma, technology media, technology stocks, telecom index