Sensex closes flat; SBI down over 4 percent (Roundup)August 10th, 2012 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 10 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Friday closed flat amid high volatility.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,515.42 points, closed at 17,557.74 points, 0.02 percent or 3.13 points down from its previous day’s close at 17,560.87 points.
The BSE consumer durables index was down 106.86 points, followed by auto index, down 115.93 points, and banking index down 102.14 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was ruling 0.05 percent up at 5,320.40 points.
India’s largest lender SBI was the biggest Sensex loser closing 4.26 percent down at Rs.1,887.95.
Though the net profit of the bank more than doubled to Rs.3,751.56 crore for the quarter ended June 30, 2012, the non-performing assets (NPA) rose sharply to 4.99 percent as on June 30, raising concerns over the bank’s asset quality.
And that pulled down the scrip.
Other major Sensex losers were Tata Motors, down 3.07 percent at Rs.232; Hero MotoCorp, down 2.27 percent at Rs.1,914.20; Tata Steel, down 1.45 percent at Rs.400.40; Coal India, down 1.09 percent at Rs.348.60; and BHEL, down 0.89 percent at Rs.228.80.
The major gainers were Hindustan Unilever, up 2.13 percent at Rs.497.70; Sterlite Inds, up 1.65 percent at Rs.111; Maruti Suzuki, up 1.61 percent at Rs.1,163.50; and TCS, up 1.53 percent at Rs.1,277.80.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei closed down 0.97 percent while Shanghai’s composite index closed 0.24 percent down. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 0.66 percent down.
At closing bell here, European markets were in red. France’s CAC was down 0.83 percent. Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were down 0.66 percent and 0.25 percent respectively.
- Sensex flat; consumer durables, auto index down (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex closes flat (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex down 79 points; consumer durables, auto scrips fall - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 116 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sensex down almost 15 points, auto, banking stocks down - Aug 13, 2012
- Sensex trades flat, auto, banking stocks down (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 194 points up; IT, power stocks rise (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 117 points down (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 194 points up, IT, power stocks rise (Roundup) - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points up, realty, oil and gas stocks rise (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex slumps 126 points on weak global cues (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points higher, realty oil and gas rise (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex closes 33 points down (Roundup) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 128 points down, BHEL, ICICI Bank shares hit (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: asian markets, asset quality, auto index, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, closing bell, coal india, composite index, consumer durables, crore, european markets, ftse 100, inds, national stock exchange, quarter ended june, rs 1, sensitive index, tata motors, tata steel