Sensex closes flat on weak rupee (Lead)May 17th, 2012 - 7:00 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 17 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities market Thursday rebounded, closing over 40 points up in lacklustre trade as the rupee traded near its record lows and Eurozone concerns affected sentiments.
The index had fallen to a four-month low Wednesday.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,119.08 points in the morning, failed to sustain intra-day gains and closed at 16,070.48 points, up 0.25 percent or 40.39 points from its previous close of 16,030.09 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,240.18 points and a low of 16,007.92 in intra-day trade. The BSE midcap index rose 1.15 points while the smallcap index gained 5.41 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.25 percent higher at 4,870.20 points.
The Indian rupee gained more than 20 paise, but it again began its downward journey in the latter part of the day. The Rupee depreciated to 54.57 a dollar (a new low) as against the previous close of 54.47 a dollar.
Buying was seen in FMCG, realty and oil and gas stocks.
The FMCG index was up 1.90 percent followed by realty index up 0.89 percent and oil and gas up 0.44 percent.
Major Sensex gainers included ITC, up 3.14 percent at Rs.235.20; Jindal Steel, up 1.98 percent at Rs.460.55; DLF, up 1.68 percent at Rs.184.60; HDFC, up 1.59 percent at Rs.631; SBI, up 1.56 percent at Rs.1857.80.
Major Sensex losers included: Mahindra and Mahindra, down 3.57 percent at Rs.633.20; Larsen and Toubro, down 3.51 percent at Rs.1163.35; Cipla, down 2.90 percent at Rs.312.70; Bajaj Auto, down 2.69 percent at Rs.1573; BHEL, down 1.51 percent at Rs.205.60.
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 61 points up; metal, power stocks rise (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex rebounds on rupee recovery (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex down 87 points as rise in inflation dampens rate cut hopes - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex down 41 points; realty, health care stocks slump - Jun 21, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Roundup) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex falls 59 points as bearish mood prevails (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Sensex above 16,000-mark, realty, FMCG stocks fall (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Sensex closes 40 points down on weak industrial data - Aug 09, 2012
- Sensex closes 80 points up, on SBI and rupee shows (Lead) - May 18, 2012
Tags: benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, bse, cipla, dlf, downward journey, gainers, gas stocks, hdfc, indian rupee, itc, larsen and toubro, midcap index, national stock exchange, paise, record lows, sbi, sensitive index, smallcap index