Sensex closes flat on derivatives expiry, weak European cues (Roundup)June 28th, 2012 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 28 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets Thursday closed flat, adding just 23 points in cautious trading on derivatives expiry and weak European cues.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,985.58 points in the morning, closed at 16,990.76 points, up 0.14 percent or 23 points from its previous close of 16,967.76 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,033.85 points and a low of 16,918.87 points intra-day. The BSE midcap index rose 3.96 points while the smallcap index gained 14.46 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.14 percent higher at 5,149.15 points.
BSE FMCG index was up 39.83 points, power index was up 7.34 points, PSU index was up 21.94 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Tata Steel, up 1.83 percent at Rs.428.40; Hero MotoCorp, up 1.58 percent at Rs.2,087.80; NTPC, up 1.48 percent at Rs.157.25; ITC, up 1.47 at Rs.251.45; and Coal India, up 1.43 percent at Rs.347.90.
The main losers were Gail India, down 2.44 percent at Rs.345.75; Sterlite Inds, down 1.86 percent at Rs.97.85; Hindalco Inds, down 1.24 percent at Rs.115.30; Sun Pharma, down 1.08 percent at Rs.616.35; and SBI, down 0.85 percent at Rs.2,095.45.
At the closing bell here, European markets were trading lower amid volatility ahead of the two-day European Union summit beginning June 28 in Brussels that will deliberate on how to stop the Eurozone falling apart.
Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were trading 1.58 and 0.88 percent lower respectively, while France’s CAC was down 1.13 percent.
- Sensex zooms 439 points on US stimulus, diesel price hike (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Sensex falls from day's high, up 199 points (Roundup) - Jul 27, 2012
- Sensex closes flat (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex rebounds on rupee recovery (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 61 points up; metal, power stocks rise (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex rallies 226 points on European cues (Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex zooms on US stimulus, diesel price hike - Sep 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex slips 120 points; banking, capital goods stocks fall (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 194 points up, IT, power stocks rise (Roundup) - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Roundup) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 50 points lower on S&P; warning (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex plunges over 200 points on inflation data (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, closing bell, coal india, european markets, european union summit, eurozone, ftse 100, inds, midcap index, national stock exchange, ntpc, power index, rs 2, sbi, sensitive index, smallcap index, sun pharma, tata steel