Sensex closes flat; oil and gas, auto stocks fall (Roundup)August 23rd, 2012 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 23 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets closed flat Thursday after oil and gas, auto and capital goods stocks came under intense selling pressure.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,856.29 points, closed 17,850.22 points, 0.02 percent or 3.36 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,846.86 points.
At one time, it was trading around 100 points higher.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,972.54 points and a low of 17,792.87 points in intra-day trade.
“Market was volatile due to settlement consideration. Heavyweight RIL, Larsen & Toubro and ONGC corrected on profit booking,” Kishore P. Ostwal, chairman and managing director, CNI Research, said.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.05 percent up at 5,415.35 points.
The BSE oil and gas index was down 89.51 points followed by the auto index, down 80.31 points, and the capital goods index, down 76.63 points.
The main Sensex losers were RIL, down 1.68 percent at Rs.794.45; Larsen and Toubro, down 1.63 percent at Rs.1,433; ONGC, down 1.59 percent at Rs.281.60; Mahindra and Mahindra, down 1.55 percent at Rs.771.65; Tata Motors, down 1.09 percent at Rs.245.20.
The major Sensex gainers were Wipro, up 2.61 percent at Rs.363.45; TCS, up 2.25 percent at Rs.1321.15; Infosys, up 1.73 percent at Rs.2,471.50; Tata Steel, up 1.53 percent at Rs.398.60 and Hindustan Unilever, up 1.45 percent at Rs.518.95.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei closed up 0.51 percent while Shanghai’s composite index closed 0.25 percent higher. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 1.23 percent up.
At closing bell here, European markets were in the green too. France’s CAC was up 0.12 percent. Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were up 0.12 percent and 0.33 percent respectively.
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex down 41 points; realty, health care stocks slump - Jun 21, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex down 37 points, oil and gas, auto stocks fall (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 66 points down on weak European cues (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Sensex extends losses on week European cues (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- India's Sensex down after previous rallies (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex rises 22 points; FMCG, consumer durable stocks up - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: asian markets, auto index, auto stocks, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, closing bell, composite index, european markets, ftse 100, gas auto, gas index, larsen and toubro, mahindra and mahindra, national stock exchange, ongc, profit booking, sensitive index, tata motors, tata steel