Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Roundup)September 13th, 2012 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 13 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets closed flat Thursday while keeping to the 18,000-mark level reached a day before.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 18,023.95 points, closed at 18,021.16 points, 21.13 points or 0.12 percent up from its previous day’s close at 18,000.03 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 18,062.68 and a low of 17,976.28 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.08 percent up at 5,435.35.
World markets were cautious Thursday eyeing the US Federal Reserve’s monetary policy meeting. Investors are eager to know if Fed Chief Ben Bernanke will launch another round of quantitative easing following weak economic data.
“Market is flat today waiting for FED results. Also Reserve Bank of India meet on 17th could be the real driver of the market. Chances are very bright that we may see profit booking,” Kishor P. Ostwal, chairman and managing director, CNI Research.
On the sectoral front, the BSE FMCG index was up 31.16 points while PSU index was up 38.58 points and oil and gas index was up 36.92 points.
Top Sensex gainers were Hero MotoCorp, up 1.87 percent at Rs.1,819.10; BHEL, up 1.57 percent at Rs.200.75; Hindustan Unilever, up 1.18 percent at Rs.546.60; ONGC, up 1.16 percent at Rs.283.05; and Bajaj Auto, up 1.15 percent at Rs.1,711.50.
The main losers included Bharti Airtel, down 2.85 percent at Rs.253.65; Cipla, down 2.44 percent at Rs.369.55; Tata Motors, down 1.41 percent at Rs.259.10; Jindal Steel, down 1.27 percent at Rs.342.05; and Mahindra and Mahindra down 0.95 percent at Rs.754.90.
Other Asian markets closed mixed. Japan’s Nikkei closed 0.39 percent up, while Shanghai’s composite index closed 0.76 percent down. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 0.14 percent lower.
At closing bell here, European markets were trading lower. France’s CAC was down 0.69 percent and so was Germany’s DAX, down 0.34 percent. Britain’s FTSE 100 was trading 0.03 percent lower.
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex trades flat after early gains (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 41 points; realty, health care stocks slump - Jun 21, 2012
- Sensex closes lower for third consecutive day (Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex rises 192 points to a near six-week high (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes in red (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
Tags: airtel, asian markets, bank of india, ben bernanke, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, cipla, closing bell, fed chief, gas index, mahindra and mahindra, national stock exchange, ongc, profit booking, psu stocks, reserve bank of india, rs 200, sensitive index, tata motors