Sensex closes below 1,6000-mark (Lead)May 23rd, 2012 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 23 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets fell for the second straight day to close below the 16,000-mark as the rupee plunged to a new low Wednesday. Consumer durables, capital goods and realty stocks came under intense selling pressure.
Amid volatile trade, the 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 15,995.14 points, closed at 15,948.10 points, down 0.49 percent or 78.31 points from its previous close of 16,026.41 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 16,002.03 points and a low of 15,847.03 intra-day. The midcap index of the BSE fell 23.96 points, while smallcap index closed 36.46 points down.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.51 percent lower at 4,835.65 points.
The Indian rupee breached another psychological level of 56 against a dollar Wednesday, hitting a new low for the sixth session in a row.
This follows persistent demands for the American currency from importers and banks amid rising risk aversion in the global markets.
The BSE consumer durable index was down 2.08 percent, capital goods index was down 0.89 percent while realty index was down 0.86 percent.
Major Sensex losers included Bharti Airtel, down 4.29 percent at Rs.281.95; Tata Power, down 1.99 percent at Rs.88.65; Hero MotoCorp, down 1.86 percent at Rs.1,826.20; Jindal Steel, down 1.84 percent at Rs.452.95; and Sterlite Inds, down 1.51 percent at Rs.94.35.
The gainers were Gail India, up 3.19 percent at Rs.323.95; Wipro, up 1.15 percent at Rs.385.90; State Bank of India (SBI), up 0.93 percent at Rs.1,956.45; Mahindra and Mahindra, up 0.84 percent at Rs.643.95; and Coal India, up 0.72 percent at Rs.308.10.
Brokers said a weak trend in other Asian markets following overnight losses at the US market influenced trading sentiment earlier in the day. At the time of closing of markets here, European markets like France’s CAC, Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE were in the red.
- Sensex down 119 points; consumer durable, auto stocks fall - May 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 17 points down on growth worries (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex down 35.68 points, oil and gas stocks fall - May 25, 2012
- Sensex down 39 points - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex rises 63 points; consumer durable, realty stocks up - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex rises 110 points; realty, banking stocks up - Jun 25, 2012
- Sensex tanks 244 points as RBI keeps rates unchanged (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex above 16,000-mark, realty, FMCG stocks fall (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: american currency, bank of india, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, coal india, consumer durables, indian rupee, mahindra and mahindra, midcap index, national stock exchange, persistent demands, psychological level, realty stocks, risk aversion, sensitive index, sixth session, state bank of india, sterlite, tata power