Sensex closes 82 points down at 20,221 (Second Lead)October 26th, 2010 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 26 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities Tuesday fell 82 points, led by selling pressure in metal, retail and banking scrips.
The 30-share sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) closed 81.73 points or 0.4 percent down at 20,221.39 points. After opening at 20,325.44 points, the index touched intraday high of 20,344.68 points and low of 20,189.30 points.
At the National Stock Exchange (NSE), the 50-share S&P CNX Nifty closed 0.39 percent or 23.80 points down at 6,082 points.
Tata Steel plunged 2.62 percent to Rs.605.45. Bharti Airtel 2.42 percent down at Rs.329.05, Hindustan Unilever 2.21 percent down at Rs.298.90, SBI 1.84 percent down at 3,180.45, and Reliance Comm 1.73 percent down at Rs.176.05 were the major losers.
Top gainers included Maruti Suzuki, 3.59 percent up at Rs.1,562.85; ITC up 1.30 percent at Rs.171.55; Jaiprakash Asso 1.04 percent higher at Rs.126.70; and Reliance Infra 0.86 percent up at Rs.1,069.15.
Other Asian markets traded cautiously ahead of announcements of key quarterly corporate results. Investors chose to get out of positions at higher levels, leading to downward pressure.
Hong Kong’s Hang Seng ended flat at 23,610.95 points, while the Japanese Nikkei closed 0.25 percent down at 9,377.38 points.
The Shanghai Composite index closed at 3,021.27 points, up 0.99 percent.
- Sensex lacklustre, Asian cues tepid (Lead) - Oct 26, 2010
- Sensex closes 240 points lower - Oct 27, 2010
- Sensex down 146.58 points during noon trade - May 11, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables down - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex tanks 188 points (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Sensex closes 79 points high (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 35 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012
- Day before expiry, Sensex loses 216 points (Roundup) - Oct 27, 2010
- Sensex closes 37 points up (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sensex rises 52 points, health care, consumer durables up - Jul 16, 2012
- Sensex closes 50 points lower on S&P; warning (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex rises 80 points, metal, capital goods stocks up (Roundup) - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, bse, comm, downward pressure, hang seng, itc, losers, national stock exchange, nikkei, reliance, rs 1, sensex, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, tata steel, top gainers, unilever