Sensex closes 61 points up; metal, power stocks rise (Roundup)June 27th, 2012 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 27 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets Wednesday closed 61 points up, led by buying in metal, power and IT stocks, on hopes of some movement on the reforms and policy front as the prime minister took charge of the finance ministry.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,975.76 points in the morning, closed at 16,967.76 points, up 0.36 percent or just 61.18 points from its previous close of 16,906.58 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,029.27 points and a low of 16,930.80 points intra-day. The BSE midcap index rose 21.41 points while the smallcap index gained 20.34 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.41 percent higher at 5,141.90 points.
BSE metal index was up 158.87 points, power index was up 19.45 points, IT index was up 52.73 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Tata Steel, up 2.51 percent at Rs.420.70; Tata Power, up 2.25 percent at Rs.97.65; Sterlite Inds, up 1.79 percent at Rs.99.70; Sun Pharma, up 1.34 at Rs.625; and Hindalco Inds, up 1.30 percent at Rs.116.75.
The main losers were Tata Motors, down 3.06 percent at Rs.239.05; Bharti Airtel, down 0.42 percent at Rs.305; Wipro, down 0.37 percent at Rs.399.55; Mahindra and Mahindra, down 0.25 percent at Rs.692.15; and SBI, down 0.13 percent at Rs.2,113.40.
At the closing bell here, European markets were trading marginally higher amid volatility ahead of the European Union summit beginning June 28 in Brussels.
Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were trading 0.32 and 0.59 percent higher respectively, while France’s CAC was up 0.42 percent.
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points, IT consumer durable stocks up (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex rises 100 points; TCS, Wipro surge - Apr 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex down 87 points as rise in inflation dampens rate cut hopes - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex down 41 points; realty, health care stocks slump - Jun 21, 2012
- Sensex down 19 points; auto, oil and gas stocks fall (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sensex rises 40 points; capital goods, FMCG stocks up - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 74 points higher (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 71 points down, FMCG, metal stocks plummet (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points; auto, metal stocks up (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex closes flat (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,