Sensex closes 60 points down (Lead)June 22nd, 2012 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 22 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets Friday closed 60 points down at 16,972 points after paring early losses in late trade.
Amid volatile trade, the 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 16,882.74 points, closed at 16,972.51 points, down 0.35 percent or 60.05 points from its previous close of 17,032.56 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,016.06 points and a low of 16,807.80 in intra-day trade. The midcap index of the BSE rose 7.73 points, while smallcap index closed 2.42 points high.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was down 0.37 percent at 5,146.05 points.
The metal index was down by 155.75 percent followed by capital goods index, down 61.87 percent.
Hindalco Inds was the top loser at the Sensex, down 3.34 percent at Rs.117.25. Other main losers were Tata Steel, down 2.70 percent at Rs.418.65; Jindal Steel, down 1.63 percent at Rs.432; Coal India, down 1.24 percent at Rs.337.60; HDFC, down 1.19 percent at Rs.640; and Sun Pharma, down 1.15 percent at Rs.608.
Major Sensex gainers were ONGC, up 1.47 percent at Rs.279.40; Cipla, up 1.26 percent at Rs.313.70; Maruti Suzuki, up one percent at Rs.1,101.40; TCS, up 0.73 percent at Rs.1,233.70; and Hero MotoCorp, up 0.53 percent at Rs.2,084.50.
The markets had opened weak. The indices were in the red mostly throughout the day, as the rupee hit a record low for the second consecutive day Friday. But they recovered in afternoon trade as oil prices fell and closed marginally in the red.
At the closing bell here, European markets were trading lower. France’s CAC was 0.43 percent down, while Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were trading 0.67 percent and 0.77 percent lower respectively.
- RBI measures fail to cheer market, Sensex falls 43 points (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex rises 110 points; realty, banking stocks up - Jun 25, 2012
- Sensex down 146.58 points during noon trade - May 11, 2012
- RBI measures fail to cheer market, Sensex slips 90 points (Roundup) - Jun 25, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex falls 57 points, metal consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012
- Sensex rises 136.55 points; capital goods, banking stocks up - Jun 05, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 17 points; oil, gas, power stocks up - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex declines 66 points, metal, consumer durables down - Jul 25, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, cipla, closing bell, coal india, european markets, ftse 100, hdfc, metal index, midcap index, national stock exchange, oil prices, rs 1, rs 2, rs 432, sensitive index, sun pharma, tata steel