Sensex closes 56 points up, realty, oil and gas stocks rise (Roundup)September 4th, 2012 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 4 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets pared early losses to close 56 points higher Tuesday with robust buying in realty, oil and gas and power stocks.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,378.68 points, closed at 17,440.87 points, 0.32 percent or 56.47 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,384.40 points.
The Sensex was trading 43 points lower in afternoon trade.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,452.70 points and a low of 17,308.27 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.39 percent up at 5,274 points.
On the sectoral front, the BSE realty index was up 23.78 points and so were the oil and gas index, up 97.33 points, and the power index, up 17.30 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Gail, up 2.60 percent at Rs.358.80; Jindal Steel, up 2.44 percent at Rs.352.85; RIL, up 1.87 percent at Rs.778.55; Tata Motors, up 1.71 percent at Rs.234.80; and Tata Steel, up 1.41 percent at Rs.363.10.
The main losers were HDFC, down 1.54 percent at Rs.722.35; Cipla, down 1.47 percent at Rs.379.25; Tata Power, down 1.28 percent at Rs.96.45; Bajaj Auto, down 0.98 percent at Rs.1,648.15; and Sun Pharma, down 0.61 percent at Rs.663.40.
Other Asian markets closed in red. Japan’s Nikkei closed 1.10 percent down while Shanghai’s composite index ended 0.75 percent down. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 0.66 percent down.
At closing bell here, European markets were trading lower too. France’s CAC was down 0.54 percent and so was Germany’s DAX, down by 0.29 percent. Britain’s FTSE 100 was down 0.78 percent.
- Sensex closes 56 points higher, realty oil and gas rise (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex rises 49 points, realty, oil and gas high (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 55 points down, realty, banking stocks lower (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Sensex down 168 points - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex falls 147 percent, metal, power stocks slump - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 51 points higher as August derivatives end (Roundup) - Aug 30, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 81 points higher as August derivatives end (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: afternoon trade, asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, cipla, closing bell, composite index, european markets, ftse 100, gas index, gas stocks, national stock exchange, power index, power stocks, ril, sensitive index, sun pharma, tata motors, tata power, tata steel