Sensex closes 37 points up (Roundup)July 5th, 2012 - 5:44 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 4 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Wednesday closed just 37 points higher, shedding most of the gains made earlier in the day. Oil and gas, FMCG and IT stocks came under selling pressure.
The Sensex had gained over 92 points in early trade.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,473.26 points, closed at 17,462.81 points, up 0.21 percent or just 37.10 points from its previous close at 17,425.71 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,523.77 points and a low of 17,372.45 intra-day. The BSE midcap index rose 53.99 points while the smallcap index gained 58.57 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange ended 0.28 percent higher at 5,302.55 points.
The BSE oil and gas index was down 45.94 points, while FMCG was down 23.02 points. The IT index was down 21.86 points.
Major Sensex gainers were Sterlite Inds, up 5.27 percent at Rs.110.90; Jindal Steel, up 3.37 percent at Rs.466.30; Maruti Suzuki, up 2.56 percent at Rs.1,221.75; Bharti Airtel, up 2.19 percent at Rs.326.50; and SBI, up 1.85 percent at Rs.2,224.25
The main losers were ONGC, down 1.68 percent at Rs.284.65; Dr Reddy’s Lab, down 1.57 at Rs.1,642; Wipro, down 1.47 percent at Rs.394.75; Hindustan Unilever, down 0.98 percent at Rs.438.05; and Coal India, down 0.79 percent at Rs.353.80.
In the Asian region, the Japan’s Nikkei closed up 0.41 percent, while Hong Kong’s Hang Seng fell 1.13 percent and China’s Composite index fell 0.08 percent.
At the closing bell here, European markets were trading in the red. France’s CAC was 0.70 percent down, while Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were trading 0.71 percent and 0.19 percent lower respectively.
- Sensex rises 37 points; power, FMCG stocks up - Jun 28, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Sensex rallies 226 points on European cues (Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex down 26.45 points on selling pressure - May 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 66 points high (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sensex slips 120 points; banking, capital goods stocks fall (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex off day's highs, holding in green - Mar 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex rises 52 points health care, FMCG stocks up (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex gains 66 points in special trading - Sep 08, 2012
- Sensex closes flat on weak rupee (Lead) - May 17, 2012
Tags: asian region, benchmark index, bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, closing bell, coal india, composite index, dr reddy, european markets, fmcg, ftse 100, gas index, inds, midcap index, national stock exchange, rs 2, sbi, sensitive index, smallcap index, wipro