Sensex closes 34 points high, FMCG, IT stocks up (Lead)August 17th, 2012 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 17 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Friday closed nearly 34 points higher, shedding early gains after the Comptroller and Auditor General’s (CAG) reports on coal, power and Delhi airport were placed in Parliament.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,701.20 points, closed at 17,691.08 points, 0.19 percent or 33.87 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,657.21 points.
The Sensex had risen 140 points during the day. It touched a high of 17,801.39 points and a low of 17,622.62 points in intra-day trade.
The BSE FMCG index was up 64.87 points, and so was the IT index, up 63.65 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) closed 0.06 percent higher at 5,366.30 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Tata Motors, up 2.12 percent at Rs.240.45; Infosys, up 1.61 percent at Rs.2,351.40; Hindustan Unilever, up 1.53 percent at Rs.502.10; ITC, up 1.43 percent at Rs.261.85; and Wipro, up 1.17 percent at Rs.353.65.
The main Sensex losers were Jindal Steel, down 4.02 percent at Rs.402.10; Tata Power, down 3.71 percent at Rs.97.35; Hindalco Inds, down 2.48 percent at Rs.113.95; Gail India, down 1.72 percent at Rs.360.55; and Larsen and Toubro, down 1.48 percent at Rs.1,452.65.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei closed 0.77 percent up, Shanghai’s composite index closed 0.13 percent down. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 0.77 percent up.
At closing bell here, European markets were green too. France’s CAC was up 0.08 percent. Germany’s DAX was 0.21 percent up and Britain’s FTSE 100 was 0.19 percent up.
- Sensex closes 24 points up - Aug 17, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012
- Sensex down 79 points; consumer durables, auto scrips fall - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 37 points up (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 17 points down on growth worries (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex closes 51 points higher as August derivatives end (Roundup) - Aug 30, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 60 points down (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 33 points higher on strong global cues (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex slumps 110 points; IT, metal stocks down (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sensex sheds early gains, down 16 points (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, cag, closing bell, coal power, composite index, comptroller and auditor general, delhi airport, european markets, ftse 100, inds, larsen and toubro, national stock exchange, nse, rs 2, sensitive index, tata motors, tata power, wipro