Sensex closes 338 points high, Tata Steel stock soars (Second Lead)September 7th, 2012 - 5:45 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 7 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets closed 338 points higher Friday in a global rally after the European Central Bank (ECB) unveiled a new bond buying programme.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,575.79 points, closed 17,683.73 points (provisional), 1.95 percent or 337.46 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,346.27 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,701.20 points and a low of 17,575.79 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 1.98 percent up at 5,342.10 points.
Overnight, US stocks had hit a four-and-a-half-year high after the ECB said there will be no limits to the purchases of government bonds with maturities of one to three years.
The programme is aimed at keeping the short-term borrowing rates of countries like Italy and Spain at manageable levels, giving them time to enact debt reduction measures and economic reforms.
On the sectoral front, the BSE capital goods index was up 281.70 points. And so were the realty index, up 40.63 points and the metal index, up 252.32 points.
All the 30 scrips were gainers with Tata Steel being the biggest Sensex gainer. It closed 5.72 percent higher at Rs.370.70.
The other major gainers were ICICI Bank, up 4.68 percent at Rs.937.85; Tata Motors, up 4.40 percent at Rs.243.30; Larsen and Toubro, up 3.86 percent at Rs.1,367.90; and Hindalco Inds, up 3.39 percent at Rs.105.15.
- Sensex closes 337 points higher on ECB bond buying plan (Roundup) - Sep 07, 2012
- Sensex soars 314 points, Tata Steel stocks gain (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Sensex zooms 324 points, Tata Steel biggest gainer - Sep 07, 2012
- Sensex gains 66 points in special trading - Sep 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 24 points up - Aug 17, 2012
- Sensex closes 34 points high, FMCG, IT stocks up (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex on a two-week high on higher advance tax payout hopes (Roundup) - Mar 13, 2012
- Sensex zooms 439 points on US stimulus, diesel price hike (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 111.32 points higher, auto stocks rally - Apr 19, 2012
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; metal, healthcare stocks gain (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Sensex tanks 188 points (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Sensex down 146.58 points during noon trade - May 11, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,