Sensex closes 33 points down (Roundup)August 2nd, 2012 - 6:18 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 2 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Thursday closed 33 points lower in volatile trade.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,245.68 points, closed 17,224.36 points, 0.19 percent or 33.02 points down from its previous day’s close at 17,257.38 points.
It had gained nearly 620 points in the last four sessions.
The BSE oil and gas index was down 78.12 points, followed by banking index, down 42.73 points, and metal index, down 32.23 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.24 percent down at 5,227.75 points.
The main Sensex losers were Tata Motors, down 1.80 percent at Rs.223.20; ONGC, down 1.25 percent at Rs.276.75; Cipla, down 1.13 percent at Rs.349.45; Sterlite Inds, down 1.09 percent at Rs.104.80; and Tata Power, down 1.05 percent at Rs.98.60.
The major Sensex gainers were NTPC, up 3.78 percent at Rs.163.30; BHEL, up 1.25 percent at Rs.223.05; Jindal Steel, up 1.06 percent at Rs.404.15; ITC, up 1 percent at Rs.261.35; and Bajaj Auto, up 0.63 percent at Rs.1,625.15.
Other Asian markets closed mixed. Japan’s Nikkei closed 0.13 percent up, while the Shanghai composite index ended 0.57 percent down. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was down 0.66 percent.
At closing bell here, European markets were trading in green. France’s CAC was up 0.44 percent while Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were trading higher, up 0.61 and 0.43 percent, respectively.
- Sensex closes 35 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex down 168 points - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex pares losses, ends 26 points down (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points down (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex up 76.94 points (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Sensex down 119 points; consumer durable, auto stocks fall - May 23, 2012
- Sensex down 79 points; consumer durables, auto scrips fall - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 22 points down (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex tanks 223 points, Infosys down 9 percent - Jul 12, 2012
- Sensex closes 134 points down on weak global cues (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex closes 45 points down, realty, oil and gas stocks fall (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Sensex rises 74 points, IT, auto stocks up - Sep 12, 2012
Tags: asian markets, bajaj, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, bse, cipla, closing bell, european markets, ftse 100, gas index, hang seng, inds, metal index, national stock exchange, ongc, sensitive index, shanghai composite index, tata motors, tata power