Sensex closes 284 points lower (Second Lead)February 22nd, 2012 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 22 (IANS) A benchmark index for Indian equities markets provisionally closed 284 points lower Wednesday as investors booked profits after recent rallies. Realty, consumer durables and metal stocks were among the biggest losers.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 18,490.87 points, closed at 18,143.89 points (provisional), down 284.72 points or 1.54 percent from its previous close at 18,428.61 points.
SBI was the main drag on the Sensex, closing a whopping 8.11 percent lower at Rs.2,253, after reports that the lender had agreed to give Rs.1,200 crore in new loans to crisis-hit Kingfisher Airlines.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange ended lower at 5,502.75 points, down 104.4 points or 1.86 percent from its previous close.
Broader markets were also in the red, with the BSE 500 index closing 2.41 percent lower. The BSE midcap index was down 3.54 percent while the BSE smallcap index shed 3.3 percent.
- Sensex closes 283 points lower on profit booking (Roundup) - Feb 22, 2012
- Indian markets dip on profit booking (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Sensex subdued, banking, realty stocks under pressure - Feb 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 284 points down (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Sensex closes 299 points lower (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
- Sensex closes 76 points lower (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Sensex closes 88 points lower in see-saw trade (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 147 points down over political uncertainties (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 1.38 percent lower amid heavy selling (Second Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Sensex loses 265 points, closes below 18,000 points (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- Sensex closes 417 points higher, Jindal Steel biggest gainer (Second Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 172 points lower (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 132 points down (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Sensex closes dull, IT, metal stocks lose (Second Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 54 points up (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
Tags: benchmark index, biggest losers, bombay stock exchange, bse, consumer durables, crore, drag on, investors, kingfisher, kingfisher airlines, loans, main drag, metal stocks, national stock exchange, profits, rallies, rs 2, sensex, sensitive index, smallcap index