Sensex closes 244 points down as RBI rate cut hopes fade (Second Lead)June 18th, 2012 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 18 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Monday closed the day’s trade down 244 points at 16,705.83 points, as hopes of a rate-cut by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its mid-quarter review of monetary policy 2012-13 faded.
The interest rate sensitive stocks of autos, banks and realty were worst hit.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,039.54 points, closed down 244 points, or 1.44 percent, and stood at 16,705.83 points from its previous close of 16,949.83 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,109.95 points and a low of 16,636.09 points in the intra-day trade.
The BSE midcap index was down 63.14 points while the smallcap index fell 44.35 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange was 1.46 percent or 74.80 lower at 5,064.25 points.
- Sensex tanks 244 points as RBI keeps rates unchanged (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex drops 162.32 points as RBI rate cut hope fades away - Jun 18, 2012
- Bank stocks tank as hopes of RBI rate-cut fade away (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex gains 272 points on rate cut hope, global cues (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Sensex plunges over 200 points on inflation data (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 153.97 points up; FMCG, oil stocks surge (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points up on interest rate cut hopes (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Sensex closes flat on derivatives expiry, weak European cues (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sensex falls 146 points, realty, metal stocks slump - Dec 28, 2011
- Sensex closes 474 points down, rate hike hits markets (Third Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Indian equities markets closed Tuesday - Dec 06, 2011
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Ahead of monetary policy review, Sensex closes dull - Dec 15, 2011
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex rises 439.22 points; bank, metal stocks up - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: bank of india, banks, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, interest rate, midcap index, monetary policy, national stock exchange, reserve bank of india, sensex, sensitive index, sensitive stocks, smallcap index