Sensex closes 243.45 points lower (Second Lead)March 15th, 2012 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 15 (IANS) Indian equities closed in the red Thursday, with a benchmark index slipping 238 points as investors were disappointed after the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) left key interest rates unchanged and said curbing inflation still remained its primary focus.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,916.85 points, closed at 17,675.85 points, down 243.45 points or 1.36 percent from its previous close at 17,919.30 points.
The 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange too closed in the negative at 5,380.50 points, down 85.85 points or 1.53 percent from its previous close.
Broader markets also closed in the red with the BSE 500 index ending 1.48 percent lower. The BSE midcap closed 1.4 percent down, while the BSE small cap index ended 0.97 percent lower.
Almost all of the 13 sectoral indices on the BSE ended in the red. Consumer durables, realty and banking stocks were among the worst hit.
The market breadth was negative with only 1,006 stocks advancing compared to 1,848 on the decline. 129 remained unchanged.
Major losers included DLF, down 4.76 percent at Rs.195.95; ICICI, down 2.47 percent at Rs.930.25; ONGC, down 2.45 percent at Rs286.65 and Larsen and Tuobro (L&T;), down 2.27 percent at Rs.1,363.
Gainers on the Sensex included Hindustan Uniliver, up 1.80 percent at Rs.388.15; Wipro, up 1.43 percent at Rs.431.50; NTPC, up 1.13 percent at Rs.179.55 and Tata Consultancy Service (TCS) up 0.72 percent at Rs.1,163.20.
The RBI in its mid-quarter review earlier in the day indicated that it may overlook sluggishness in growth and would work towards lowering inflation. “Notwithstanding the deceleration in growth, inflation risks remain, which will influence both the timing and magnitude of future rate actions,” the central bank said.
Investors also played safe, booking profits ahead of the budget Friday.
- Sensex closes 238 points lower (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Sensex ends 133 points higher on hopes of rate cuts - Apr 12, 2012
- Sensex tanks 244 points as RBI keeps rates unchanged (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Markets quiet before monetary policy announcement - Mar 15, 2012
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sensex falls for third straight week on negative cues (Weekly Market Review) - May 12, 2012
- Sensex falls for second week on earnings and negative cues (Weekly Market Review) - May 05, 2012
- Sensex pares some losses, closes 148 points down - Oct 20, 2011
- Sensex closes 474 points down, rate hike hits markets (Third Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Sensex closes lower, aviation stocks soar (Roundup) - Feb 07, 2012
- Talk of tax treaty with Mauritius spooks Indian markets (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2011
- Rate hike fears pull down Sensex 176 points (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2011
- Sensex slips 477 points on high crude prices, profit booking (Roundup) - Feb 27, 2012
- Indian markets close lower on global turmoil, rate hike fears (Roundup) - Aug 12, 2011
- Ahead of monetary policy review, Sensex closes dull - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: bank of india, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, cap index, consumer durables, deceleration, inflation risks, market breadth, mid quarter, midcap, national stock exchange, ntpc, ongc, reserve bank of india, sectoral indices, sensitive index, sluggishness, tata consultancy service, uniliver, wipro