Sensex closes 24 points upAugust 17th, 2012 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 17 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Friday closed 24 points higher.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,701.20 points, closed 17,681.44 points, (provisional) 0.14 percent or 24.23 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,657.21 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,801.39 points and a low of 17,622.62 points in intra-day trade.
The BSE FMCG index was up 65.74 points, and so was the IT index, up 58.69 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) closed 0.08 percent higher at 5,367.05 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Tata Motors, up 2.27 percent at Rs.240.80; ITC, up 1.53 percent at Rs.262.10; Infosys, up 1.52 percent at Rs.2,349.40; Wipro, up 1.39 percent at Rs.354.40; and Hindustan Unilever, up 1.31 percent at Rs.501.05.
The main Sensex losers were Jindal Steel, down 4.19 percent at Rs.401.40; Tata Power, down 3.36 percent at Rs.97.70; Hindalco, down 2.52 percent at Rs.113.90; Gail India, down 1.79 percent at Rs.360.30; and Larsen and Toubro, down 1.59 percent at Rs.1,451.
- Sensex closes 34 points high, FMCG, IT stocks up (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Sensex rises 17 points; oil, gas, power stocks up - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex closes 71 points down, FMCG, metal stocks plummet (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex closes 45 points down, realty, oil and gas stocks fall (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Sensex down 37.45 points, capital goods, power scrips fall - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 338 points high, Tata Steel stock soars (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Sensex extends losses on week European cues (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 337 points higher on ECB bond buying plan (Roundup) - Sep 07, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, European debt concerns weigh (Roundup) - Nov 08, 2011
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 38 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 55 points down, realty, banking stocks lower (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, fmcg, gainers, hindalco, hindustan, infosys, itc, larsen and toubro, losers, national stock exchange, nse, rs 1, rs 2, sensitive index, tata motors, tata power, unilever, wipro