Sensex closes 21 points up (Roundup)August 1st, 2012 - 6:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, August 1 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets closed 21 points up Wednesday.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,244.44 points, closed at 17,257.38 points, 0.12 percent or 21.20 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,236.18 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.22 percent up at 5,240.50 points.
The BSE health care was up 94.32 points, followed by capital goods index up 102.74 points, and realty up 14.33 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Cipla, up 4.40 percent at Rs.353.45; BHEL, up 2.13 percent at Rs.220.30; Tata Power, up 1.63 percent at Rs.99.65; SBI, up 1.37 percent at Rs.2,032.70; and HDFC, up 1.28 percent at Rs.699.50.
The main losers were Coal India, down 2.73 percent at Rs.349.50; ONGC, down 1.94 percent at Rs.280.25; Hero MotoCorp, down 1.71 percent at Rs.1,971.50; TCS, down 1.05 percent at Rs.1,227.60; and Tata Steel, down 1.03 percent at Rs.409.35.
Other Asian markets closed mixed. Japan’s Nikkei closed 0.61 percent up, while Shanghai’s composite index ended 0.94 percent higher. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng was up 0.12 percent.
At closing bell here, European markets were trading mixed too. France’s CAC was up 0.50 percent while Germany’s DAX, was down 0.13 percent, Britain’s FTSE 100, up 0.75 percent higher.
- Sensex closes flat (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex up for the third day, rises 38 points - Aug 01, 2012
- Sensex down 41 points; realty, health care stocks slump - Jun 21, 2012
- Sensex closes flat (Roundup) - Jun 26, 2012
- Sensex rises 111 points, auto and banking stocks up - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; oil and gas, auto stocks fall (Roundup) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex ends 274 points down; realty, metal stocks slump (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 81 points higher as August derivatives end (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Sensex crosses 18,000 points on positive European cues (Roundup) - Sep 12, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Roundup) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 141 points down; realty, metal stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, closing bell, coal india, composite index, european markets, ftse 100, hang seng, hdfc, national stock exchange, ongc, rs 1, rs 2, sbi, sensitive index, tata power, tata steel