Sensex closes 194 points up, IT, power stocks rise (Roundup)August 21st, 2012 - 8:27 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 21 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Tuesday closed 194 points higher on good buying in IT and power stocks.
The bullish sentiment was also lifted by news of a US court ruling in favour of Infosys in a case filed against it by a former employee.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,705.14 points, closed at 17,885.26 points, 1.10 percent or 194.18 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,691.08 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,898.35 points and a low of 17,705.14 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 1.02 percent up at 5,421 points.
The BSE IT index was up 98.55 points followed by power index up 31.93 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Sterlite Inds, up 4.46 percent at Rs.113.70; NTPC, up 3.12 percent at Rs.173.50; HDFC, up 2.92 percent at Rs.732.90; Gail India, up 2.58 percent at Rs.369.85; and Tata Power, up 2.52 percent at Rs.99.80
The main Sensex losers were Hindalco Inds down 1.45 percent at Rs.112.30; Bharti Airtel, down 1.32 percent at Rs.258.65; Dr Reddys Lab, down 0.66 percent at Rs.1,659; Tata Steel, down 0.66 percent at Rs.392.20; and Hero MotoCorp, down 0.59 percent at Rs.1,918.80.
Among other Asian markets, Japan’s Nikkei closed down 0.16 percent while Shanghai’s composite index closed 0.54 percent up. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 0.02 percent down.
At closing bell here, European markets were in green too. France’s CAC was up 0.53 percent. Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were up 0.37 percent and 0.23 percent respectively.
- Sensex closes 194 points up; IT, power stocks rise (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex down 108 points, bank, capital goods stocks fall - Aug 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 34 points high, FMCG, IT stocks up (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex rises over 100 points, oil and gas, banking stocks up (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; SBI down over 4 percent (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 193 points up (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex rallies 226 points on European cues (Roundup) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex trades flat, auto, banking stocks down (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Sensex slumps 126 points on weak global cues (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex closes 128 points down, BHEL, ICICI Bank shares hit (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: asian markets, benchmark index, bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, bullish sentiment, closing bell, composite index, dr reddys lab, european markets, ftse 100, hdfc, inds, infosys, national stock exchange, ntpc, power index, power stocks, sensitive index, tata power, tata steel