Sensex closes 180 points higher (Second Lead)August 7th, 2012 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 7 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets closed 180 points up Tuesday on the back of good buying in IT, realty and auto stocks.
The markets were buoyed by the assurance given by Finance Minister P. Chidambaram Monday that the government will do everything to maintain the investment attractiveness of the country. There were also strong global cues after reports of a surge in US hiring.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,456.37 points, closed 17,593.79 points (provisional), 1.04 percent or 180.83 points up from its previous day’s close at 17,412.96 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,641.55 points and a low of 17,417.92 points. The BSE midcap index was up 22.72 points and the small cap index was 26.93 points higher.
The BSE IT index was up 101.59 points, followed by the realty index, up 29.44 points and the auto index, up 150.26 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 1.03 percent up at 5,336.70 points.
The major Sensex gainers were Tata Motors, up 4.42 percent at Rs.238.75; Gail India, up 3.21 percent at Rs.377.40; TCS, up 2.86 percent at Rs.1,264.60; Bajaj Auto, up 2.16 percent at Rs.1,668.20; and ICICI Bank, up 2.08 percent at Rs.973.80.
Major sensex losers were Hero MotoCorp, down 1.40 percent at Rs.1,952; Bharti Airtel, down 0.79 percent at Rs.293.80, Sun Pharma, down 0.31 percent at Rs.669; RIL, down 0.20 percent at Rs.783.70 and Dr Reddys Lab, down 0.01 percent at Rs.1,657.40
- Sensex rises for the second day, up 188 points (Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Sensex closes 38 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 16 points down (Second lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex closes 117 points down (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 79 points high (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex ends 38 points down; Bharti Airtel drops 3.85 percent (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 141 points down; realty, metal stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points up, realty, oil and gas stocks rise (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex falls 126 points; auto, realty stocks slump - May 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 104 points down, realty, bank stocks slump (Roundup) - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: airtel, auto index, auto stocks, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, cap index, cues, dr reddys lab, finance minister, gainers, investment attractiveness, national stock exchange, p chidambaram, ril, rs 1, sensitive index, small cap, sun pharma, tata motors