Sensex closes 17 points down on growth worries (Roundup)July 6th, 2012 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 6 (IANS) A benchmark index for the Indian equities markets Friday closed 17 points down on global growth concerns. Realty, metal and consumer durable stocks were the worst performers.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened in the positive at 17,546.04 points, closed 17,521.12 points, down 0.10 percent or 17.55 points from its previous close at 17,538.67 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange also was down 0.19 percent at 5,316.95 points.
The BSE realty index was down 21.23 points, metal index was down 120.73 points while the consumer durable index was down 70.36 points.
India markets turned negative taking cues from weak global peers as monetary policy easing by the central banks in China, Britain and eurozone signalled that the global economic growth may decline further.
In a coordinated move, the European Central Bank Thursday cut key policy rate by 0.25 percent, the People’s Bank of China reduced one-year deposit rate by 0.25 percent and the Bank of England raised bond purchase target by $78 billion to ease interest rates.
The major Sensex losers were Jindal Steel, down 3.17 percent at Rs.455.15; Sterlite Inds, down 2 percent at Rs.107.55; Tata Power, down 1.99 percent at Rs.103.45; Maruti Suzuki, down 1.93 percent at Rs.1,216.70; and Hero MotoCorp, down 1.74 percent at Rs.2,084.65.
The main gainers were ICICI Bank, up 1.55 percent at Rs.935.20; HDFC, up 1.27 percent at Rs.683.65; Mahindra and Mahindra, up 1.16 percent at Rs.731.10; Hindustan Unilever, up 1.15 percent at Rs.445.20; Cipla, up 1.08 percent at Rs.327.95.
In the Asian region, the Japan’s Nikkei closed down 0.65 percent, while Hong Kong’s Hang Seng rose 0.04 percent and China’s Composite index rose 1.01 percent.
At closing bell here, European markets were trading in the red. France’s CAC was down 0.83 percent, Germany’s DAX and Britain’s FTSE 100 were trading 0.87 percent 0.38 percent lower respectively.
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex tanks 244 points as RBI keeps rates unchanged (Roundup) - Jun 18, 2012
- Sensex jumps 304 points ahead of RBI policy review (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Sensex falls on global economic growth worries - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex closes 78 points down (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex slips 164 points to close at a three-month low (Roundup) - May 25, 2011
- Sensex rises 63 points; consumer durable, realty stocks up - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex closes 22 points down (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 200 points on stronger rupee - May 28, 2012
Tags: asian region, bank of china, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, central banks, cipla, closing bell, ftse 100, global economic growth, growth concerns, growth worries, hdfc, india markets, inds, mahindra and mahindra, metal index, national stock exchange, sensitive index, target, tata power