Sensex closes 134 points down on weak global cues (Second Lead)September 5th, 2012 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 5 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets closed 134 points down in line with weak global bourses. Metal, capital goods and banking stocks were the worst performers.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,359.96 points, closed at 17,305.02 points (provisional), 0.78 percent or 135.85 points down from its previous day’s close at 17,440.87 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,411.67 points and a low of 17,250.80 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.97 points down at 5,223.05 points.
On the sectoral front, the BSE metal index was down 281.24 points, capital goods index was down 250.55 points and the banking index was down 203.84 points.
The main Sensex losers were Jindal Steel, down 5.20 percent at Rs.334.50; BHEL, down 5.09 percent at Rs.207.75; Tata Steel, down 3.68 percent at Rs.349.75; ICICI Bank, down 3.56 percent at Rs.879.55; and Sterlite Inds, down 3.48 percent at Rs.92.90.
The major gainers were Bharti Airtel, up 3.04 percent at Rs.257.25; Hindustan Unilever, up 1.63 percent at Rs.529.80; TCS, up 1.46 percent at Rs.1,361.85; and ONGC, up 1.12 percent at Rs.274.50.
- Sensex closes 128 points down, BHEL, ICICI Bank shares hit (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex tanks 120 points, metal, capital goods stocks down - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex slumps 126 points on weak global cues (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex closes quiet as GDP numbers disappoint (Roundup) - Feb 29, 2012
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex closes 55 points down, realty, banking stocks lower (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 38 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex closes flat; metal, healthcare stocks gain (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 16 points down (Second lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex slips 100 points; metal, telecom stocks slump - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: 411, airtel, benchmark index, bhel, bombay stock exchange, bse, capital goods, cues, gainers, global bourses, inds, metal index, national stock exchange, ongc, rs 1, sensitive index, sterlite, tata steel, tcs, unilever