Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup)July 11th, 2012 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 11 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Wednesday closed 129 points lower on profit booking and weak European cues. Auto, FMCG and realty stocks came under selling pressure.
The index ended at a four-month closing high Tuesday, gaining 226 points.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), opened at 17,553.97 points, closed 17,489.14 points, down 0.73 percent or 129.21 points from its previous close at 17,618.35 points.
The BSE mid-cap was down 7.72 points and small cap was down 16.02 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed at 5,306.30 points down 0.73 percent.
Traders said a correction in US stocks Tuesday due to poor earnings was the reason for fall in Asia and Europe.
They also said that reports of below average monsoon which might affect measures to boost economy and company earnings during the quarter led to the bearish market sentiments.
The BSE auto index was down 122.46 points. And so were the FMCG index, down 56.58 points, and the realty index, down 18.65 points.
The main losers were Hindalco Inds, down 2.74 percent at Rs.124.10; Wipro, down 2.68 percent at Rs.374.20; Tata Motors, down 2.03 percent at Rs.241.40; Sterlite Inds, down 1.89 percent at Rs.106.25; and Bharti Airtel, down 1.87 percent at Rs.315.45.
The only five Sensex gainers were Larsen and Toubro up 1.20 percent at Rs.1,434.75; NTPC, up 0.44 percent at Rs.160.45; Infosys, up 0.29 percent at Rs.2,466.35; Gail India, up 0.25 percent at Rs.357.90; and Coal India, up 0.03 percent at Rs.353.65.
In the Asian region, the Japan’s Nikkei closed 0.08 percent down, Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 0.12 percent up and China’s Composite index was 0.51 percent up.
At closing bell here, European markets were trading mixed. France’s CAC was down 0.24 percent while Germany’s DAX was, up 0.60 percent, Britain’s FTSE 100 was down 0.12 percent.
- Sensex closes 129 points down (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 214 points up (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 141 points down; realty, metal stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex closes 34 points high, FMCG, IT stocks up (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points, IT consumer durable stocks up (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex slides 156.93 points; consumer durables, realty stocks down - Jun 04, 2012
- Sensex above 16,000-mark, realty, FMCG stocks fall (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Sensex rises 75 points; FMCG, consumer durables up (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 18 points higher (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Sensex slips after RBI policy action, trading 70 points down - Jul 31, 2012
- Sensex extends losses on week European cues (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex ends in red; power, realty, auto stocks fall (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Sensex closes 81 points higher as August derivatives end (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
Tags: asia and europe, bearish market, benchmark index, bharti airtel, bombay stock exchange, closing bell, coal india, company earnings, fmcg, ftse 100, inds, larsen and toubro, market sentiments, national stock exchange, ntpc, poor earnings, profit booking, realty stocks, sensitive index, tata motors