Sensex closes 128 points down, BHEL, ICICI Bank shares hit (Roundup)September 5th, 2012 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 5 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets Wednesday closed 128 points down in line with weak global bourses. Metal, capital goods and banking stocks were the worst performers.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,359.96 points, closed at 17,313.34 points, 0.73 percent or 127.53 points down from its previous day’s close at 17,440.87 points.
The Sensex touched a high of 17,411.67 points and a low of 17,250.80 points in intra-day trade.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.92 points down at 5,225.70 points.
On the sectoral front, the BSE metal index was down 256.28 points, capital goods index was down 242.96 points and the banking index was down 208.85 points.
The main Sensex losers were BHEL, down 4.98 percent at Rs.208; Jindal Steel, down 4.78 percent at Rs.336; ICICI Bank, down 3.56 percent at Rs.879.55; Tata Steel, down 3.42 percent at Rs.350.70; and Sterlite Inds, down 3.17 percent at Rs.93.20.
Axis Bank hit a three-month low and closed 3.56 percent down after Morgan Stanley downgraded the bank to underweight from equal weight.
The major gainers were Bharti Airtel, up 3.28 percent at Rs.257.85; Hindustan Unilever, up 1.84 percent at Rs.530.90; TCS, up 1.41 percent at Rs.1,361.15; and ITC, up 0.66 percent at Rs.268.
Other Asian markets closed in red. Japan’s Nikkei closed 1.09 percent down while Shanghai’s composite index ended 0.29 percent lower. Hong Kong’s Hang Seng closed 1.47 percent down.
At closing bell here, trading was mixed in European markets. France’s CAC was down 0.16 percent while Germany’s DAX was up by 0.36 percent. Britain’s FTSE 100 was down 0.37 percent.
- Sensex closes 134 points down on weak global cues (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Sensex 80 points high on strong global cues - Sep 06, 2012
- Sensex closes 33 points higher on strong global cues (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Sensex rises 52 points health care, FMCG stocks up (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex ends in green; FMCG, auto stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Sensex rises 21 points, banking stocks rally - Apr 16, 2012
- Sensex closes 38 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex falls from day's high, up 199 points (Roundup) - Jul 27, 2012
- Sensex pares losses, ends 26 points down (Roundup) - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex slumps 126 points on weak global cues (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Rupee weighs on market, Sensex closes 156 points lower (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Sensex closes in red, consumer durable, realty stocks down (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- Sensex trades lower; oil and gas, metal stocks down (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex rises over 100 points, oil and gas, banking stocks up (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Sensex rises for the second day, up 188 points (Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: airtel, asian markets, axis bank, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, capital goods, closing bell, composite index, equal weight, european markets, ftse 100, global bourses, icici bank, inds, metal index, morgan stanley, national stock exchange, sensitive index, sterlite, tata steel