Sensex closes 117 points down (Lead)July 20th, 2012 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 20 (IANS) A benchmark index of Indian equities markets closed 117 points down Friday after banking, capital goods and realty stocks came under heavy selling pressure.
The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), which opened at 17,275.20 points, closed at 17,160.88 points (provisional), down 0.68 percent or 117.97 points from its previous day’s close at 17,278.85 points.
The BSE bank index was down 143.22 points, followed by capital goods index — down 117.71 points — and realty index that was down 17.85 points.
The wider 50-scrip S&P; CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange closed 0.66 percent down at 5208.05 points.
The major Sensex losers were BHEL, down 2.75 percent at Rs.228.20; Dr Reddys Lab, down 2.69 percent at Rs.1,611; Cipla, down 1.52 percent at Rs.327; Wipro, down 1.52 percent at Rs.363 and ICICI Bank, down 1.48 percent at Rs.936.
The major Sensex gainers were Bajaj Auto, up 2.63 percent at Rs.1,590; Maruti Suzuki, up 2.45 percent at Rs.1,144.75; TCS, up 1.84 percent at Rs.1,222.90; Coal India, up 0.67 percent at Rs.362 and Tata Steel, up 0.08 percent at Rs.415.
- Sensex slips 120 points; banking, capital goods stocks fall (Roundup) - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex slips 100 points; metal, telecom stocks slump - Apr 11, 2012
- Sensex ends 93 points higher; IT, consumer durable stocks up( Roundup) - Jul 19, 2012
- Sensex trims gains; auto, oil and gas stocks down (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex tanks 281 points (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Sensex closes in red (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex up 225.14 points, oil and gas stocks soar - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex slumps 110 points; IT, metal stocks down (Roundup) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sensex falls on global economic growth worries - Jul 06, 2012
- Sensex remains choppy; ICICI Bank, M&M; rally - Apr 27, 2012
- Sensex extends losses on week European cues (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Rupee weighs on market, Sensex closes 156 points lower (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: bank index, benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, bse, capital goods, cipla, coal india, dr reddys lab, gainers, losers, maruti suzuki, national stock exchange, realty stocks, rs 1, sensex, sensitive index, suzuki, tata steel, tcs, wipro